Can we refuse to enter into a trading deal with Trump?

malumbu

Thread is in the spirit of gallows humour of course!

But I don't want anyting to do with the egotist. I want my leaders of the free world to have the slightest bit of inegrity. You'll know how inarticulate I am - here's some other descriptions (not all bad) - http://trumpinoneword.com/?all-words Clarkson still wins the number of hits for the 'C' word.

This is all a bit of fun - do keep up the protesting, even if we know this will not change things and we will be in the rush to be first. Dunno what he has got against the rest of Europe seeing half his ancestors are German and he has a liking for ladies from other parts of Europe.

Trump is indeed narcisstic, and extremely polarising. Not my favourite person, and I'm sure that's echoed by many on here. However, don't see the point in cutting off our nose to spite our face. If we are leaving the single market we will need as many friends willing to do trade deals globally as we can muster. Whether they be from unpalatable leaders of the free world, to countries in the developing world with untapped wealth who want to do deals with us. Surely personal opinions are put to one side for the greater good?

Louisa.

HonaloochieB Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> May I be the first (if of course I am) to start

> referring to everyone's new President as 'Dump' or

> my personal favourite 'Turps'?

>

> I think 'Turps' over here and 'Dump' over there

> works.

>

> Just a thought.

Yeah come on, we're done with trading with the silly sensibility of Europe, let's give 'Trumpet U.S.A' a go. He'll sell us whatever shaped bananas we god damn like, and in return allow us to export Barmaids with thier clevage intact and the 'Full English Breakfast' by the skip load.

I'm waiting in anticipation for raft of deliciousness that is 'American Food'. You know the stuff the lucky dudes (and dudettes) get to shovel into their faces on Man vs Food. Hopefully it'll be closely followed by an oil tanker of insulin and Budweiser.

Way to go man!

And at least we don't get no FACELESS EU FACISTS telling us what to do, coz Don "POTUS" Trumpet ain't afraid to show his righter that right face to anyone, or tweet like it is.

And while he's at it, I wonder if his friends from KGB.COM could look into where the missing ?350 mill' for our nurses has gone. Week in week out that should have been mounting up, so it's about time someone found it and delivered it. "DON, are you listening, we need help over here...."

'Hello...over here.....yes the little island off your coast...that's us...3,500 miles away...!!"

"HEEEEEELLLLLLOOOOOO!"

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2016/06/21/482952581/bendy-bananas-and-barmaid-bosoms-the-u-k-s-crazy-anti-eu-food-myths

Good post in the right spirit. Come on let's have some more.

Question Mr Unclean. Why did the USA close all their Levis down and make them offshore if it such a wonderful place? Ultimately over the pond has heaps of natural resouces and are in a much better place than the UK when it comes to being isolationist. Not sure what they are going to do for cheap labour though.

Go and google the amount of trade we do with the US already and think long and hard about hysterical knickerwetting posts because we don't like a democratic decision in another country. How do you and Jaywalker think we are going to run and fund say the NHS and most other public services by snubbing what is already our biggest export market and highest trade surplus trading partner already. It's impractical useless slightly sad virtue signalling - you are both being absolutely clueless to be honest.

When it comes to intelligence and all the murky stuff that goes with it

Britain leads the way.

Even David Milliband (now pro migrant and leading International Rescue)

- and I'd have him back as leader of the remainers - probably knew what

was going on with extraordinary rendition etc (or maybe he didn't).

Edit: So May won't want to talk about that stuff

There's of course no likelihood of this happening but in these days of 'brave' decisions and uncharted territory why can't we take a moral high ground and restrict or stop trading with the worst offenders. Heck we don't trade with North Korea do we? Perhaps we need a referendum?!

HonaloochieB Wrote:

> May I be the first (if of course I am) to start

> referring to everyone's new President as 'Dump' or

> my personal favourite 'Turps'?

>

> I think 'Turps' over here and 'Dump' over there

> works.

>

> Just a thought.

In an idle moment the other day it occurred to me that President Trump is an anagram of Strident Pumper...

???? Wrote:

> Go and google the amount of trade we do with the

> US already and think long and hard about

> hysterical knickerwetting posts because we don't

> like a democratic decision in another country. How

> do you and Jaywalker think we are going to run and

> fund say the NHS and most other public services

> by snubbing what is already our biggest export

> market and highest trade surplus trading partner

> already. It's impractical useless slightly sad

> virtue signalling - you are both being absolutely

> clueless to be honest.

Dear ????, you are right that any political position can be read as claiming moral high ground. Yet I wonder what the alternative is? Should one simply not express political positions? Or is it that wealth is the most important thing whatever? Certainly Trump would agree with that.

But I cannot see your claim that economic wealth should be prioritised whatever the non-economic cost as other than a moral position. That is, you are asserting that waterboarding (for example) is just a regrettable evil given the needs for NHS funding? You are placing the many millions of people who need urgent care (and who are often let down) as the "value position" against those tortured. Of course, and probably most would agree with you - but it is not a neutral position.

As it happens, I agree we should continue with trade with the USA. We have done our fair share of iniquity ourselves. Perhaps it will pass over (although I am getting a little alarmed at the pace with which it is accelerating). My argument (in the other thread) was that May would be well advised to treat Trump rather like she treats China or Saudi Arabia: keeping her gloves on and not allowing any embraces.

BTW, I fear the USA is not currently our biggest trading partner; and also that it soon will be.

Trump is a bufoon sadly elected president of the United States of America, which for its many flaws (like us) is democracy and comparisons with Saudi especially but China too are some weird and illegitimate equivalence.

PS the US is our biggest export market - google it if you don't believe me (14.5% of our Exports)

Dear ????, I am unsure what you mean by "is democracy". Please amplify in the light of the details of the specific case (for example both the current presidents of China and Russia were "elected" and "democracy" in both cases seems a little stretched, so presumably "elected" is not sufficient to establish "democratic".

PS the US is not our biggest export market: google it if you don't believe it. Do you think I am stupid?

re: Biggest export market. It depend on whether how you class the EU. If you see the EU as separate countries, the US is the UKs biggest export market. If you see the EU as one market, it's the EU.

Source: many, but mainly HMRC, Nov 16 figures.

Loz Wrote:

> re: Biggest export market. It depend on whether

> how you class the EU. If you see the EU as

> separate countries, the US is the UKs biggest

> export market. If you see the EU as one market,

> it's the EU.

>

> Source: many, but mainly HMRC, Nov 16 figures.

What else is the EU but a single market? From the figures I saw from 2014, the UK exports almost half of what it exports to the US, to Ireland. Overall, exports to the EU were about 4 times greater than those to the US.

http://atlas.media.mit.edu/en/profile/country/gbr/

This is fake news Alan. You are fake news. Horrible. Just horrible. The US is a bigly export market, it's the bigliest. It's gonna be great. We're going to build a trade agreement with Trump. He builds the best trade agreements. The Eu is horrible, just horrible. The Uk, he loves the Uk. Great people. Some of his staff are from the UK. Just...it's gonna be great folks.

Alan Medic Wrote:

> Loz Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > re: Biggest export market. It depend on

> whether

> > how you class the EU. If you see the EU as

> > separate countries, the US is the UKs biggest

> > export market. If you see the EU as one

> market,

> > it's the EU.

> >

> > Source: many, but mainly HMRC, Nov 16 figures.

>

> What else is the EU but a single market? From the

> figures I saw from 2014, the UK exports almost

> half of what it exports to the US, to Ireland.

> Overall, exports to the EU were about 4 times

> greater than those to the US.

I agree, but since government agencies seem to still break down such stats by individual countries, I can see both arguments.

ETA: Besides, if you really consider the EU as a single market, we don't "export" anything to it! (Currently, anyway.)