Major new threat to hedgehogs

Suffer-not

I write to on a matter of concern relating to Britain?s native wildlife.

Under the Spring Trap Approval Order (2012), last year, DEFRA approved a new vermin trap - ostensibly to kill stoats and rats, but DEFRA overlooked the fact that it also kills red squirrels and hedgehogs.

What makes this trap lethal for endangered species is that it is non discriminatory and has the ability to auto-reset. It is powered by a compressed gas capsule which enables it to make the kill, release the body and then reset itself automatically. Again and again for 6 months!

This kill trap cannot differentiate between species. Furthermore because it releases the kill, any scavenger or predator can remove the body so there is no way of knowing how many or what was killed.

The trap is imported from New Zealand where it was designed to kill hedgehogs which have become a pest there after they were imported from the UK. It is Goodnature A24 Rat and Stoat Trap.

Here is a link-

http://www.goodnature.co.nz/pests/#c315

DEFRA's incompetence has demonstrated the law of unintended consequences. They have been absolutely delinquent in this case and the only way things can change is for pressure from the top.

There is therefore an urgent need for as many people as possible to bring this to the attention at the highest level.

I am urging as many people as possible to appeal to:-

Dr Therese Coffey MP

Permanent Under Secretary of State

Dept. for Environment Food and Rural Affairs

Nobel House

17 Smith Square

London SW1P 3JR

If you prefer to e-mail then send to [email protected] who is in charge of the Ministerial Unit at the Ministry

Suffer-not, I'm sure you have animal's best intentions at heart here.

Now there's no way I'm going to buy one of those traps, as living in ED I have no need for one.

But...this is quite a misleading petition. Firstly, the trap is not indiscriminate; it uses bait to attract victims.

Squirrels and Hedgehogs are not going to go for rat/stoat bait.

Only the rat bait is legal and available in the UK as far as I can see.

Do you have any supporting evidence that I'm not aware of?

Lowlander Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

> But...this is quite a misleading petition.

> Firstly, the trap is not indiscriminate; it uses

> bait to attract victims.

>

I respect your right to challenge my ascertions concerning this threat but I would ask you to do a little research with Gooole and you will find that hedgehogs have a varied diet - in fact very similar to rats ie they will eat a wide range of things including insects, small invertebrates (worms, slugs ), also fruit, nuts, eggs, meat. A specific search on "hedgehogs and chocolate" shows that they do have a sweet tooth -they like chocolate and peanut butter.

Goodnature's lure for rats is based on chocolate unlike their possum lure. The A24 that is sold in the UK comes with the rat lure by default and herein lies the problem. Also, they use the chocolate-based lure in NZ to target both rats and hedgehogs.

Please accept I have a reasonable knowledge of hedgehogs and wildlife in general. Whereas I now live in Dulwich, much of my earlier life was involved with the agricultural and forestry sectors.

Just to add, many hedgehogs die because of eating poisoned slugs. Hence whenever slug pellets are used to control slugs there is a risk of poisoning for hedgehogs.

• 3 months later...

I read this thread with interest. To be clear, I sell the GoodNature A25 traps and I know a how they operate.

The GoodNature A24 traps are designed to be discrimate and with a trained hand avoid hedgehog deaths. Unlike poison or grip 'Fenn' traps the GOodNature Traps are humane, toxin free and provide a high quality trap for the urban enviroment. I understand that rodent control for some is squeamish exercise. However, the GoodNature traps are at the forefront of design and innovation and should be encouraged. Alternatives including poison can be a poorer and less humane choice in rodent control.

For more info please visit: www.goodtrappingcompany.co.uk

Goodtraps Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I read this thread with interest. To be clear, I

> sell the GoodNature A25 traps and I know a how

> they operate.

> The GoodNature A24 traps are designed to be

> discrimate and with a trained hand avoid hedgehog

> deaths. Unlike poison or grip 'Fenn' traps the

> GOodNature Traps are humane, toxin free and

> provide a high quality trap for the urban

> enviroment. I understand that rodent control for

> some is squeamish exercise.

> Alternatives including poison can be a poorer and

> less humane choice in rodent control.

> For more info please visit:

> www.goodtrappingcompany.co.uk

I, for one am not squeamish and as a retired gamekeeper, I probably know a great deal more about hedgehogs and various types of traps.

The Goodnature A24 trap comes from New Zealand where it was designed to kill hedgehogs which have become a pest there after they were imported from the UK.

This kill trap cannot differentiate between species. Furthermore because it releases the kill, any scavenger or predator can remove the body so there is no way of knowing how many or what was killed.

It is baited with a lure which attracts rats, stoats, red squirrels and yes, hedgehogs. Hedgehogs have a varied diet and are attracted to the lure.

You say it is designed to discriminate. This is absolute rubbish. In NZ one can buy it with a "Weka Excluder" which is a spiral wire tube to stop Wekas taking the bait. For those who dont know the weka (also known as Maori hen or woodhen) is a flightless bird species of the rail family. It is endemic to New Zealand and is about the size of a chicken.

This Weka excluder still allows mammals like hedgehogs rats and stoats get to the lure and then get killed. The Weka excluder is not sold in the UK as, yes you gueessed it, there are no Wekas in the UK.

Also it is worth noting that the Goodnature trap has only limited approval in the UK. It has not been approved in Wales, Northern Ireland or Scotland because it has been seen as a lethal device for red squirrels and hedgehogs.

You no doubt want to sell as many traps as you can but it turns folk off when you dont tell the truth.

I am pleased to report that the trap has not been a success her ein the UK as it is considered by game keepers etc to be too expensive. At around ?124 each, it hasn't taken off and retailers who stocked up on them are left with unsold stock.

So, good riddance to it.