Assistance please -boiler question

Earl Aelfheah

In this weather you can easily find the cold water inlet (which is the one you want) by testing all the pipes with the back of your hand - run the hot water and make sure the heating is on.

The only cold pipes should be the gas and cold water inlet. The cold water one will be very cold. Often it has a connecting pipe to another pipe.

If you have to do it more than once or twice a year there is probably a leak somewhere.

Rah,

I had a (very nice) plumber walk me through on the phone, so I assume all boilers are much of a muchness. On mine, there was a flexi-hose that had an inline valve, that went from the boiler though to a big normal brass tap (the cold water inlet). So, I had to turn the brass tap on, then use the inline one to re-pressurise the system. After that, I turned the big brass one off.

You need to do it when the boiler is running.

I find I have to do it every time I bleed the radiators.

google the make / model of your boiler and get the manual.

then look at the section for adjusting pressure - it's as per described above by various posters.

no more dofficult than bleeding radiators if it's a modern-type boiler.

I wouldn't just experiment with different valves (because one of them may cut-off your gas and then you'll be having to re-ignite it) !

Thanks for the advice. It's always been pretty straight forward with other boilers I've owned, but this one has loads of different taps and pipes. I googled the manual and under the section on adjusting the pressure, it just says 'consult your installer'. I'll get it running and check which pipe is cold.