where do you buy really organic fruits and veggies?

Asteroidneenee

Hi all!

I was shopping between SMBS and the Organic Village when i discovered yesterday that most of their products aren't organic.

I asked them and SMBS told me only the green labelled food are organic so all the beautiful veg outside are not. Same for Organic Village, half of the veg and fruits aren't organic... Anyway i was started to be a bit annoyed by Organic village they are super nice but a shop that doesn't put price on their veg it's annoying. I like to know the price of things.

I was mislead by the name and what is claimed on their shop, in France for example you can't call yourself organic or have it written ...if you are not.

So I have been paying a lot of money for same toxicity as everywhere else... return to square one.

I have check out the delivery option but i don't by that much of food and I would end up wasting food and money.

Where do you shop organic fruits and veg? local (UK)? for a correct price ?

For meat I go to William Rose, some aren't organic but they are all free range and certified without antibiotics and stuff in them. What do you think?

thanks

No minimum spend with Farmdrop. They now deliver seven days a week!

My cousin actually set the company up. Am biased but think it's brilliant too. Tomatoes that actually taste of tomatoes...and quite a lot of their stuff is cheaper than Sainsburies. There's a ?20 discount on their website at the moment for a first order.

Neila Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Yes trying to get better quality food what a

> stupid idea... Where's my mind?

>

>

>

> TheCat Wrote:

>

>

>

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Ah...organic farming..taking land that would

> feed

> > thousands, and using it to feed dozens......

I wasn't challenging your right to desire it, just alluding to actual facts, that organic farming is more damaging to our environment and uses significantly more of our scarce resources to produce. If you prefer organic food, good for you, but own the fact that you desire something that's damaging the world moreso than alternatives.

I drive a V8 car. It's more pollutant than riding my bicycle. But I prefer driving my V8....

Neila Wrote:

> Yes trying to get better quality food what a

> stupid idea... Where's my mind?

>

>

>

> TheCat Wrote:

>

>

>

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Ah...organic farming..taking land that would

> feed

> > thousands, and using it to feed dozens......

Is it better quality? It's produced without the use of pesticides, so it's probably better for the environment - but I'm always a little dubious about health benefit / quality claims for organic. I often wonder whether this is simply an assumption that people make based on the price.

"Is it better quality? It's produced without the use of pesticides, so it's probably better for the environment - but I'm always a little dubious about health benefit / quality claims for organic. I often wonder whether this is simply an assumption that people make based on the price"

The scientific consensus on organic food seems to be:

no evidence of health or nutritional benefits

lower pesticide residues, but no evidence that permitted pesticide residues in non-organic harmful to health

clear evidence of greater land use for the same yield so to that extent environmentally unfriendly.

I've seen surveys claiming organic food tastes better, but the obvious question is better than what? There's lots of high quality produce that is not organic. Also, it's not correct that organic rules prohibit pesticide use. The Soil Association are pretty coy about it, but there are permitted pesticides and herbicides.

TE44 Wrote:

> http://sustainablepulse.com/2016/10/12/pesticide-e

> xperts-release-shocking-review-of-global-glyphosat

> e-damage/#.WJtEckZFDqA

>

> There are have been so many lawsuits against

> these

> Chemical companies, after poisoning, bullying and

> no respect for life.

So I have no issue with eating organic because of biodiversity arguments, or as a kind of boycott of pesticide companies if you believe their unethical in their business practices (although I would question the effectiveness of such a proxy boycott). But the claim above was that organic is 'better quality' something one hears a lot. I think that's a highly dubious claim.

A decent organic shop in the area is needed. Supermarkets don't sell much of a range, nor does SMB, due to the fact that it's too small. A big independent organic that sells stuff from Big tubs which would cut prices due to less packaging would be perfect. Everything from a tub, bring your own recycled bag, done. ANYONE?