Bakerloo Line Extension Consultation

Renata Hamvas

https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/tube/bakerloo-extension/?cid=bakerloo-extension

I think important at Elephant and Castle is improved interchange not only between Northern and Bakerloo Lines, but also to National Rail and Buses.

I would certainly support shaft 1 being in the middle of the Bricklayer's Arms junction rather than in a public park.

I prefer option no 2 for both stations.

The Tesco option would give better interchange with bus routes along the old Kent road.

The Toys R Us option would be further long the old Kent Road, I think the site near B and Q is too close to the Old Kent Road 1 Site station.

(These are my current personal thoughts, please let me know what you think)

Renata

I think it is such a shame that OKR won. Both options should have gone ahead: Camberwell and its environs are so poorly served by anything other than buses. Even an extension to Denmark Hill and nothing else would have helped enormously, especially with all the new builds in and around the Green and down W'worth Road.

What does this mean ?

"The Mayor of London's transport body also said it was committed to a second phase of the extension beyond Lewisham.

The proposed route, chosen over others, would go through Peckham and Camberwell."

http://www.croydonadvertiser.co.uk/why-are-there-so-few-underground-stations-in-south-london/story-30124219-detail/story.html

Edit: Probably just badly written :)

Nigello Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I think it is such a shame that OKR won. Both

> options should have gone ahead: Camberwell and its

> environs are so poorly served by anything other

> than buses. Even an extension to Denmark Hill and

> nothing else would have helped enormously,

> especially with all the new builds in and around

> the Green and down W'worth Road.

Is Old Kent Road any better served? I'd argue probably worse served than Camberwell

Renata Hamvas Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I definitely wanted an extension through

> Camberwell and Peckham too!I don't think that

> second phase means Camberwell and Peckham, but

> further extension to Hayes from Lewisham.

> Renata

I did too.

But there's more money to be made the OKR route, and

whether that's the right way to decide, I don't know.

I assume eventually whats at Elephant now will extend

down the Old Kent Road.

It's true that OKR is better for developers and investors. Not for the established communities / taxpayers living in south London though. Same for northern line extension, unless taxpayers are subsidising a development of private flats, transport improvements aren't on the cards in London

Do we have a housing crisis in London or not? Will investment in housing be driven by transport links? Does the OKR in general have more opportunity for development?

All a straight 'yes' as far as I can see if i remove what suits me and other tax payers in Camberwell, East Dulwich & Peckham...

The answers are yes to those questions. However, if taxpayers are going to effectively subsidise house building, I would rather see us building council housing, not pouring money into another development of 'luxury apartments. The taxpayers of south London who are funding the transport system should expect it to serve them. The area around the new northern line terminals is already being dubbed Singapore on Thames because So much has been sold off plan to overseas investors.

Given that the extension pointedly avoids our neck of the woods, why ask for our views? Why are our Councillors wasting their time on something which is no longer relevant to us?

I would be far more interested in what our elected Representatives are going to do to improve fixed track public transport up the Walworth Rd and through Camberwell?

All we need is a guided bus, not a tram or a Tube. Guided buses have done wonders for big, densely-populated cities in Asia and LatAm and they also exist in parts of the UK. Councillors and developers here tend to pooh-pooh them because they don't have the "sexiness" of trams/light rail.

Can't see the public transport situation from SE22 into SE1 via SE5 and SE15 getting any better soon (which is why I walk a whole lot more than I used to).

• 1 month later...

I don't believe I wasted people's time posting about this, Michael. Many of my ward residents use the train services from Peckham Rye (first 63/363 bus) and Nunhead Station. The current rail/tube interchange at Elephant and Castle is appalling. There are places where rail/tube interchanges work, but not here! I'm wondering if, as the Bakerloo Line extention will go under the Old Kent Road if there is a possibility that the station is moved closer to the National Rail and Northern Line. The other possible link is southbound to Lewisham from the Southwark Stations (if Elephant and Castle interchange improvements are not possible). Is there going to be a good interchange between Lewisham Rail and the tube? (this isn't mentioned at all in the consultation, I think this is really important) I think if the Lewisham interchange is good, an increased frequency on the Victoria to Dartford Service will be required eg to 4 an hour to cope with extra demand. Lewisham like Peckham Rye is in Zone 2 & 3 so there wouldn't be cost involved in going Southbound.

Renata

There are established communities and tax payers all around OKR. To read this you'd thinknot was completely uninhabited.

I get that you'd have liked to to Camberwell, but this thread is just sour grapes.

Plus anyone arguing that Peckham isn't well served by trains are crazy imo.