Why are Walkers the best selling crisps in the UK when....

DovertheRoad

It is because of market segmentation.

They are middle range crisps: above generic supermarket own-label but below up-market (hand cooked etc) ones. So the margins are not that great but the cooking oil is probably more palatable than with the lowest tier.

Same as with washing powder etc.

People say there is no class system in the UK but you only have to look in shopping baskets.

Hmm

Rather simplistic. Golden Wonder were the bees knees when i was young. We had Smiths too, remembered in part from an earlier generation due to the blue packed of salt that you did yourself - as opposed to 'ready salted'.

From memory it was better marketing at key times that destroyed this opposition and perhaps being in the right place at the right time

More importantly, why are their salt and vinegar now in green packets? Green means cheese and onion and salt and vinegar comes in blue. As if the world isn't confusing enough.

I'm sorry but it had to be said.

ETA according to the internet it's always been this way. Well if it has, it shouldn't have been.

http://www.just-food.com/analysis/the-rise-and-fall-of-an-icon_id94333.aspx

There is quite a lot of stuff on the rise and fall of Golden Wonder. They were by far the most popular crisp company back in the day and (allegedly) invented Cheese and Onion flavour crisps (in green packets as is only proper). They couldn't compete with Walkers (who were backed by Pepsi co) and their better marketing (aka Gary Linker).

I also remember listening to a podcast about the 'crisp war's of the the 70's and 80's (maybe the Bottom Line?) where it was suggested that they started making non brand crisps for lot's of supermarkets and had become too reliant on this particularly low margin pursuit.

Anyway, I quite like Walkers, especially their Marmite and Prawn Cocktail flavours. But clearly their colour coding when it comes to Salt & Vinegar / Cheese and Onion is nonsense on stilts.

Personally I like crisps like Tyrrell's and Kettle Sea Salt.. Don't really like any flavoured crisps..

Altough many many Moons ago there used to be a company who may of been Benson's up in Cumbria that made 'Cheese' not onion crisps which were really nice.

Pipers are good..

Walkers are Naff.

Golden Wonder refers to the type of potato.

Foxy

I think it breaks down like this:

Best cheap crisps: Onion Rings or Frazzles

Best mid range: Walkers Marmite or Prawn Cocktail flavours.

Best 'is it a crisp': Scampi Fries

Best 'high end' crisp: Tryells salt and vinegar (suspect it's sea salt and cider vinegar or something but can't remember).

I love most crisps though. If you asked me on a different day I'd give different answers.