Party Wall - neighbour piling foundations

RoLo1

Anyone had experience of a neighbour piling foundations, not for a superstructure, just for a two storey extension? Or know much about piling and the vibration risks to existing buildings (1.5 from ours)? Other than speed, piling doesn't make much sense to me (ok, clay soil and the varying degrees of subsidence across SE London, but still, seems a little extreme). As part of the process the neighbouring couple say they could underpin our house (or possibly just our wall on that side, though then again if we opt for this they may decide to go for traditional foundations...)?

Has anyone gone through this or have insider info?

RoLo, I am not at all an expert, but have been through this process with a neighbour in Kennington who dug out a level below their basement (....)

Have they formally notified you? Do you have a party wall agreement (given it is a wall not a fence and seems to be impacting on your property)? In my case, I did not grant them permission, so they had to appoint a party-wall surveyor who inspected my property carefully: at the end of the works I received compensation for some (limited) damage. Generally, I think, if in any doubt at all you should go through this route: the party-wall surveyor is a legally binding-role and their costs are for your neighbour, not you. Is there also planning permission and, separately, building regulation approval? Has work started with all this in place, or is this just a proposal?

If they are talking about under-pinning your house, do you have guarantees and money on deposit from them should their builder go bust or the work prove actionable? This was not part of my experience, but from the newspapers I believe it is increasingly frequent (and also increasingly subject to legal dispute).

And have you notified your own building insurers? They must be told.