Blood coming out of a two hour cooked chicken

Louisa

I have just cooked a chicken for two hours (average size in a fan assisted oven). The skin is crispy and the breast meat is cooked through, but after laying on the carving plate dark red coloured juice is pouring out from the front of the bird. Is this normal? I don't know what to do, any help much appreciated!

Louisa.

This is why I always use a cooking thermometer. ?15 off Amazon. Stick the probe into the thickest part of the chicken, set it to 65 degrees (70 if you want to be really safe). When it beeps, check by probing a few other parts to see they are all over 65C and Bob's your chicken dinner.

Also means you can cook chicken from non-quite-thawed-out-properly. Plus my lamb and beef are usually exactly the right side of rare.

It's very unlikely to be blood if you cooked it for 2 hours - there's hardly any blood left in a prepared chicken for roasting. More likely you had a particularly young bird and what you're seeing myoglobin pooling in the cavity - a result of the method of preparation.

I use a thermometer too and sometimes notice that I get what looks like blood around the joints of the chicken even though the meat is cooked to well over safe temperature (so it can't be blood!). See below for some more info:

http://www.hi-tm.com/Documents/Bloody-chik.html

http://www.epicurious.com/expert-advice/safe-eat-bloody-chicken-article

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/mythbusting_chicken_is_done_when_juices_run_clear.html

TheArtfulDogger Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'm now worried Louisa has expired due to eating

> uncooked chicken as she hasn't posted on here

> since her question yesterday

I was just thinking the very same thing.. lol. Shouldn't laugh ..

Come on Lou.. Tell us you are ok..

Foxy

I think this is part of a new EDF phenomenon, whereby posters decide to leave this virtual mortal coil with a bang.

*Bob* literally did that by blowing himself up. Typical ^Bob*, no messing about, straight to the point, as was his nature.

With Lou, I feel there's far more attention seeking going on, leave the viewers in suspense. Did she or didn't she?

Credit where credit's due though, I'm loving the sense of irony that a typical working class Sunday lunch 'did for her'.

This has raised the bar. Long gone are the days when posters would just slope of to the sticks...

The chicken was froxen, defrosted overnight in the fridge. I have a feeling it couldn't have been fully defrosted when I cooked it, and the bloody water was a consequence. Lesson learnt, However, I didn't get food poisoning and have just returned from three nights break on the Devon/Cornwall border. Doris has not been my friend today, 11 hours to get back home. Ridiculous.

Louisa.