Half Moon to reopen 20th March.

Roundabout

• 4 weeks later...
Yeah...went this evening to eat. Didn't clock specific prices but they've all gone up a notch in line with other places. They've done a very good job of leaving the main front and side bars alone and preserving the feel but lifting it a a bit. The back bit which used to have the stage has been totally "clockhoused" with some faux yacht club clapboarding and vintage lighting. But I'll forgive them that as we used to play chinged up scaffolders at poker in there and it was a total shit hole. It has now been transformed into the main eating space with a named Head Chef called Mike Blizzard which is a f*&*ing brilliant name. The back garden is now all on trend concrete and rattan timber booths. Food was good but just delighted to have it back open and that they've not totally destroyed it.

DovertheRoad Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Would add that no review counts until Jah Lush, a

> man whose opinion is respected on such matters,

> has visited and passed judgement.

Passed what?

I visited last night with Mr L, he had a pint of lunar and I had a half of the stuff. We got there about 9. It was busy enough for all the tables to be taken, but not so busy that it felt uncomfortable. Most of the original features have been kept in the front bar and out back they've created a restaurant area and then through some separate doors to the toilet it opens out into a refurbished garden with another outside bar and some sort of food shack (closed), which is I presume used in summer. Drink prices top end of average (for people like us), friendly enough service and a good mixed crowd. I think it's been smartened up but with a decent nod to the past, maybe not to everyone's taste - especially a die hard regular back in the day (maybe). I'd go back, I like the way the food area is kept away back from where the drinking is done at the front. The bloke who I presume is manager seemed friendly enough too.

Mostly positive then, but I don't know what it is. Pubs nowadays just don't feel the same to me. I reckon this will put the dog refurb to shame.

Louisa.

I think it depends what you go for rendel, but yes I reckon most of the premium stuff is well over a fiver. I noticed peroni on tap which I'm not a fan, and there were a few other options. The drinks mix looked classic Fullers to my untrained eye, with a few guest beers. As I say, top end of what id 'like' to pay, but I'd go back. Reckon the garden will be well used in summer, and a nice little front garden too.

Louisa.

Places will charge whatever they can get away with..

If people are prepared to pay over the top prices, then the rest of us have little choice.

I'm happy to pay ?3.30 for a pint of reasonable ale (Session) in the EDT

and not have to mess about waiting for a bus.

Foxy

Jeremy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Quite often go in Fullers pubs in the City... ale

> tends to be around the ?4 mark, surely Herne Hill

> can't be more expensive? Some of the keg beers

> tend to be expensive though.

The Lunar ale was ?5.50 a pint, only had the one round. More of a nose than a proper drink. Not sure about the price of other tap beers/lagers, but presumably around a similar sort of mark or maybe slightly less?

Louisa.