Brixton...the new food heaven....

DovertheRoad

Not exactly news...Brixton village has been there for a while.... but its wasn't really that long ago that you had a to look hard for a decent place to eat round there. A quick wander yesterday and couldn't believe how they've smartened up Coldharbour lane...even Electric Avenue. Freshly painted new independent shops, no bags of rubbish /hairballs, clean pavements....even the skunk dealers on the corner by KFC are gone. Best of all was spotting all the new eateries I've yet to try , the Lebanese place, that amazing dim sum restaurant, the BBQ place (The joint). Not sure how many Easter Dulwichers venture that way regularly but I've been napping and will be correcting asap.....

I'm over that way a reasonable amount.

Brixton is amazing for food now - some really good stuff in Pop Brixton as well as the "village", etc. I do miss the slightly more eclectic (dare I say "edgy", or maybe I just mean "fun") version of Brixton I remember from the turn of the millenium, but the current evolution suits middle-aged me nicely.

DovertheRoad Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

Freshly painted new independent shops, no bags of rubbish

> /hairballs, clean pavements....even the skunk

> dealers on the corner by KFC are gone.

seriously, where have you been, this is old news - suggest venturing away from East dulwich more often, amazing what you'll find.

I started my post with "it's not news" as I kew I'd get the replies like above....(and double yawn seabag with your Deptford leanings) but I seriously think for some people in the SE22 dormitory/bubble that they hardly ever leave boring old Lordship Lane. I've not spent nearly enough time in Brixton lately (the point of this post) but that aside probably spend more time outside of SE22 in Camberwell, Peckham and even Sydenham way for interesting things....

But Jeremy saying Brixton is now officially amazing for food is no understatement. He's spot on.

Brixton has always been diverse for its eateries, it's just people from certain postcodes chose not to venture into those places because it wasn't 'cool' to do so back then. Now it's become quite a generic place, boring even. Peckham is next in line for the Brixton treatment, in fact it's already well underway.

Louisa.

DovertheRoad Wrote:

> I started my post with "it's not news" as I kew

> I'd get the replies like above....(and double yawn

> seabag with your Deptford leanings) but I

> seriously think for some people in the SE22

> dormitory/bubble that they hardly ever leave

> boring old Lordship Lane. I've not spent nearly

> enough time in Brixton lately (the point of this

> post) but that aside probably spend more time

> outside of SE22 in Camberwell, Peckham and even

> Sydenham way for interesting things....

>

> But Jeremy saying Brixton is now officially

> amazing for food is no understatement. He's spot

> on.

I do like Brixton really, even tho it's evolved into a place where you get sniped at for liking. It's got variety, it's still fun and in the summer it's even nicer. Whereas ED is a bit dormitory, I agree.

I think it's inevitable that places change, eventually it goes one way or the other. I'm glad Brixton has lost some of its edge. There I said it, ha-ha hell yeah!

And shut up with your cool edginess nonsense , unless you're sub 25 yrs old.

Louisa Wrote:

> Brixton has always been diverse for its eateries,

> it's just people from certain postcodes chose not

> to venture into those places because it wasn't

> 'cool' to do so back then. Now it's become quite a

> generic place, boring even. Peckham is next in

> line for the Brixton treatment, in fact it's

> already well underway.

>

> Louisa.

I lived in Brixton, just off Coldharbour Lane, from 1997-2006 and although I loved it (though I do quite like some of the improvements since) my memories are that good places to eat were what it was lacking - excellent for places to dance, drink and make merry but apart from the Satay Bar and Bah Humbug I really don't recall much in the way of good eating places. Mind you it was a long time ago and some of the more interesting substances on offer from the corner boys did not necessarily help promote perfect recall...

teddyboy23 Wrote:

> Gotta laugh brixton village its just brixton.I

> should know .I live in the leafy lanes of camber

> well village.

I remember when it was The Granville Arcade when my mum used to take me when I was very young.

http://www.brixtonbuzz.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/caribbean-market-brixton-village-4.jpg

DulwichFox