Morning fag

steveo

I fully understand and sometimes appreciate a gasper with a pint of an evening but what's the morning fag all about?

At 7.00am I observed several 'enjoying' their first - possibly second - of the day and to be honest they all looked a bit ill. It's getting quite hard to breathe at all down Lordship Lane lately and I have to admit the pleasures of getting an early doors Carlton Superking down one has eluded me over the years.

Are there any enthusiasts who can enlighten me about what I'm missing?

It is pretty horrid and I don't smoke until the evening these days, but I guess with the proliferation of the smoking ban and breaks being heavily monitored etc...I remember when teaching if one had a full timetable and break duty it was a choice between having one (or three) at 7.30 or not having any until 1PM. In the the words of the old Viz advert, "I smoke 'em because I'm addicted to nicotine!"

I have a cigarette (rollie actually) while I'm planning my day first thing in the morning.

I'm usually awake at 5am and then start the school routines.

I have a lot going on - work is intense, stuff outside of work too. I decide how I'm going to get on, the mental approach I'll take - so I sort out my plan and mental strategy.

It's important - saves me feeling overwhelmed or missing anything important.

It feels like a strategic approach to battle! :-)

After that, I don't really smoke at all!

Once upon a time (seriously years back) I'd wake up and reach for fags before I'd managed to open my eyes. I'd spark up and have one in bed.

In 2003/04 I shared a flat which became something of a party house. My bedroom was off the living room, and although I'd smoked loads the previous night, I used to feel sick as I walked out of my room and found my flatmates smoking in the living room first thing in the morning.

These days the smell of fag smoke makes me feel ill if I am not the smoker (yes I know that's pretty hypocritical). If at home I smoke on the balcony of an evening. If in the pub I still smoke like a chimney (though don't get to the pub often enough for this to be too big a problem).

But yeah I'm with you Steveo. The morning fag has zero appeal to me. On the very very rare occasions that I think it's a good idea, I always regret it instantly.

Jules-and-Boo Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Are you suggesting people smoke because they

> subconsciously miss breast feeding?

>

> That had never occurred to me.

It's obviously primarily a nicotine addiction, but when you see someone who really enjoys the ritual of smoking a cigarette, it could be a bit more than just addiction...Nipple > Dummy > Thumb > Lollipop > Biro > Ciggie...

red devil Wrote:

> Jules-and-Boo Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Are you suggesting people smoke because they

> > subconsciously miss breast feeding?

> >

> > That had never occurred to me.

>

>

> It's obviously primarily a nicotine addiction, but

> when you see someone who really enjoys the ritual

> of smoking a cigarette, it could be a bit more

> than just addiction...Nipple > Dummy > Thumb >

> Lollipop > Biro > Ciggie...

Thank you Sigmund Freud, that's quite a leap. It hadn't occurred to me that every time I light up it's because I want to suck on my mother's titties.

???? Wrote:

> Morning fag (pah) I see a geezer who looks like a

> painter and decorator, with his kit, at the bus

> stop most mornings 7.30 am with a Special Brew

> (and he doesn't look-vaguely

> alcoholic...yet....he's mid 20s I'd say)

Maybe he works overnight (though Special Brew in any circs is not a good sign, especially not while waiting for the bus) - I used to be quite surprised when living by the Fox on Denmark Hill and nipping in for a coffee (honest) how many rail workers there were tucking into pints at 8.30AM until I had a chat with them and found they worked the night shift and this was their "evening" pint. That's what they told me, anyway.

KidKruger Wrote:

> RH there used to be a pub at Smithfields where the

> meatworkers were in super early in the morning for

> beers - went there a couple of times after late

> club nights, I think it was like 0600 or something

> - mental !

There was one in Shepherd's Bush, somewhere near Goldhawk Road as best I can recall, which opened very early for market traders (talking 25+ years back now) - you would be asked at the bar "working in the market?" - though I never saw any of the assorted nightfolk turfed if they said yes!

Yeah most markets have pubs close by that open at stupid o clock in the morning.

The Market Porter by Borough Market has the following opening hours

Monday to Friday: 6am - 8:30am & 11am to 11pm

Saturday: 12noon - 11pm

Sunday: 12noon - 10:30pm

Isn't it a fag, coffee and an evacuation of the bowels

I'm often suprised at the early fag thing, but they do often look enjoyable. But fags outside the train station are sucked with a different kind of determination. Those ones kinda concern me more, as there's a needy compulsion about them, mixed with a dose of self loathing.

Each to their own.

Sigmund Freud smoked 20 cigars a day - when asked about the sexual connotations and psychology surrounding smoking, he replied "sometimes a cigar is just a cigar".

Back to the topic, when I was a committed smoker, the first cigarette of the day was one of the best. The timing...before or after breakfast? Delayed gratification. But always sitting down, with a coffee. Never rushed.

As others have said it really prepared you for the day - 10 minutes of tranquility.

Nowadays it's a sneaky smoke on a night out. I do sometimes miss smoking in the house, watching the smoke spiral up, the smell of a good tobacco.

Those cheap cigarettes really stink...

Was never an habitual smoker. Could not smoke in my place of work and did not go outside for a cigarette.

I did smoke a pipe on occassion and did like a decent Cigar.. in the pub but never outside or at home.

Also actually enjoyed Snuff..

All that was 20 years+ ago. snuff more resently,

Foxy

Jules-and-Boo Wrote:

> Are you suggesting people smoke because they

> subconsciously miss breast feeding?

>

> That had never occurred to me.

Cannot understand that, your mothers nipples I'm sure did not have nicotine in them and did not smell of smoke. Breastfeeding is the most beautiful thing, smoking is not.