What to do with old CDs

Rob tolfts

About a year ago I uploaded all my CDs to the cloud. I now have two boxes full of CDs I no longer use.

What can I do with them? I'm conscious that as I still have access to listen to the music, I can't legally sell/donate them (unless I'm mistaken?)

Rob tolfts Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> About a year ago I uploaded all my CDs to the

> cloud. I now have two boxes full of CDs I no

> longer use.

>

Two boxes? I've got about six crates :)) :)) :))

I guess I could argue that there are a fair number I bought in the early nineties I'm probably not going to listen to anymore, and keep the ones I might so won't infringe the licensing.

We used Sky movies a few times & you could buy a DVD to stream immediately, but they then posted you the DVD of the film you'd already watched to satisfy the licencing (I assume)

Look at Music Magpie.

Someone just told me they got a good price for gardening books of all things, but they mainly do CDs I think.

You can put them in one by one and get a quote. If you download their app you can scan in each barcode and get a quote.

No idea if it's worth doing, but worth a look maybe?

They pay postage.

We music magpied all our cd's a while back. Some (many) of them you get 5p for, some you get a couple off quid.

You'll look at the boxes and think you spent a tenner each and it represents thousands of pounds and you're getting a fraction of that, but it's easy and better than nowt...

As for the licensing that ship has sailed. My moral compass says I paid for it before, everyone who deserves paying got their money already so it makes sod all difference if I still have the cd or not.

natty01295 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Charity shops will Not take them because they are

> recorded CDs

>

> * They need to be shop bought * Not downloaded on

> cd

Apologies if I'm wrong, but aren't these original CDs?

They're original CDs, my attempts to make it as a pop star haven't made it out of the shower (yet!)

I might start working through the boxes & flogging the ones I don't listen to anymore. I guess I can delete the music from the cloud, & that would meet the licencing requirements.

charity shops take original CDs.

As for licensing issues deriving from keeping hard drive copies, not sure of the details. However, as long as you aren't very publicly torrenting many thousands of files who on earth is ever going to care, seriously?

As reassurance, the Government notes that that people shouldn?t be too concerned because copyright holders are not known to come after people who make a backup of their computers.

?The Government is not aware of any cases of copyright holders having prosecuted individuals for format shifting music solely for their own personal use,? the IPO spokesperson says. From https://torrentfreak.com/itunes-is-illegal-under-uk-copyright-law-150805/