Laying patios

malumbu

A geezer laid a new patio for us last summer (legitimate garden company). It sorted of looked OK but finshing was iffy and now it is falling apart.

He laid it on dried sand and grouted in-between. The grout was soft, water is getting in, the slabs are lifting and eventually fauna and flora will get in.

I of course have have office worker's hands so will know nothing (despite repairing houses, cars, motorbikes and bike for 40 years) so our follow-up convesations will be interesting.

I'd rather just say give me half the money back and I'll get somebody in decent.

Questions: I know that you can lay on dry sterilised sand and grout, but I'd prefer to use a wet mortar mix (say 4:1)- views out there?

What do I do will all the old sand (can soft sand go into the garden, sharp sand is good in clay areas)

Recommendations for a small patio job?

Should have gone with my instinct and not used this local company. I'm not in a postion to name and shame quite yet.

I'm about to lay a patio, having broken concrete etc. in preparation the past few week-ends.

Question: when I dig up where I'm going to put and compact the hardcore, do I need to put a wooden "frame" to hold the hardcore or would the "walls" of the hole provide sufficient containment. Does that question even make sense. I have soft programmer fingers.

miga Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'm about to lay a patio, having broken concrete

> etc. in preparation the past few week-ends.

> Question: when I dig up where I'm going to put and

> compact the hardcore, do I need to put a wooden

> "frame" to hold the hardcore or would the "walls"

> of the hole provide sufficient containment. Does

> that question even make sense. I have soft

> programmer fingers.

A sawn finish wood frame, pegged at the ends and fixed, is good to contain the hardcore and concrete/lean mix stage. IF you're going for slabs as a finished patio, you remove the frame pre-laying.

You'll be fine, once you start digging down you'll find that London clay soil is fairly rigid.

Will the patio form an edge to a lawn or garden border? If so you might want to reinforce the edge, such as an edging fully bedded in concrete to provide an edge that isn't go to move...

http://anlscape.com.au/images/DIY/how-to-lay-pavers-11.jpg