I don't mourn a LL curry house closing down because....

DovertheRoad

- there are too many of them obvs

- some of them have shall we say interesting business models

- as I was reminded last night it's all the same slop

After another mediocre LL takeaway I've decided it's my last. Also got me thinking how much I like home cooked curry and asking why that always tastes better. They put so much salt, sugar and ghee in curry house fare it's no wonder you want one after 5 pints. Discovering as a student you can knock up a great home curry in 35 mins without bankrupting yourself at SMBS was a revelation. As was home cooked poppadoms.

Any of the curry fiends on here like cooking their own and if so got any good quick recipes?

I took on board from my stepfather the significance of fruit in curry. Everything fresh: so onions softened, spices balanced and cooked out (turmeric, dried chilli, curry powder), meat then fried off: then the fun starts; fresh tomatoes, bananas, fresh mango, to go with fresh chilli, whole green chilli, pepper, salt, water. Then coriander stirred in at last moment. Some texture accompaniment: poppadum, bhaji etc. Takeaway curry rarely tastes fresh, often tastes one-dimensional with glutinous, terrible sauce.

Buy a digital pressure cooker

Curry from one is great

I've just done lentil and roasted tomato, with lamb neck.

About 60 mins start to (falling off the bone) finish.

Learn to make dosa too, with fermented sour batter. ( it's dead easy/good)

jimlad48 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> We've started using Ganapathi takeaway quite a lot

> - very different set of food, far more fish based

> and south indian in nature and does Paratha not

> Naan. Worth a look!

Yea Ganahathi is really great. Their dal is so nice and doesn't leave you feeling greasy on the inside like a lot of the cack from high street curry houses, which as the OP said, is far to salty/sugary/greasy.

Personally, I just like making my own because is so easy once you get a few recipes you like, plus you can guarantee that it has no ghee in it (gf is vegan).

Seabag Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Buy a digital pressure cooker

>

> Curry from one is great

>

> I've just done lentil and roasted tomato, with

> lamb neck.

>

> About 60 mins start to (falling off the bone)

> finish.

>

>

> Learn to make dosa too, with fermented sour

> batter. ( it's dead easy/good)

Do you mean an Instant Pot?

DTR - Manjula's Kitchen is a great veggie Indian cooking source for recipes.

We're still eating part-bastardised Indian food.

When's the last time we had a curry in an 'Indian' restaurant made from karela ?

A common Indian veg that we have probably never eaten.

I'm surprised that none of them are much cop given the amount of competition. My son has taught himself how to cook what he calls 'clean' curry and it is great. He was prompted to teach himself after an electrician from East London told him some horror stories

Curry houses are, for Lordship Lane, a bit like chicken shops

The less you have reflects a general gentrification and a move towards more varied food options being available. I don't bemoan the loss of any of the old ones really.