Makeup/cream application on buses/public venues

Louisa

This is a revisit to a topic discussed some years back now. I remember having a staunchly held opinion about makeup application amongst other things on buses, and the health implications as well as the completely ignorant nature of forcing others to be a part of your very personal experience.

At the time, members of this forum were absolutely convinced moisturisers and other medicated creams being applied in public were perfectly acceptable forms of behaviour, with little or no danger to others around them. It has now emerged in today's news that certain medicated creams contain paraffin and put individuals as well as those around them at risk of potential hazards, including the highly flammable nature of some products. I have included the news article below for your attention.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39308748

The application of potentially dangerous flammable creams, and/or other products in public places (particularly public transport) should be just as anti social as eating food, talking loudly on mobile devices and making a nuisance of yourself. Think of others and don't be selfish. Just a reminder.

Louisa.

I appreciate your cynicism rendel, but just because it hasn't happened doesn't mean it's not possible. The antisocial smells and aromas coming from these products are such that it would be wise to be cautious. Why not do it at home?

Louisa.

Because setting myself on fire at home would still be quite painful...oh I see. All the incidents in that article, Louisa, were people having heavy treatment for serious conditions whose clothes and bedding were soaked in the paraffin and who then dropped lit fags on them or similar, it's just not going to happen on the bus.

I agree people spraying perfume etc about is something we can do without, but I'm sure there are often legitimate reasons someone (especially someone with a child with a condition) might need to apply a medicinal cream on the bus. We're not all going to go Mr.Krook because of it.

Another thing to worry about in these troubled times. I think we should be very vigilant when near people who are smoking, perhaps do some sort of 'sniff test" to see if they are coated in any sort of flammable creams in case they suddenly go up. Maybe carry a personal fire extinguisher even. Another relaxing Sunday ruined with too much information! 😉

Louisa Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I appreciate your cynicism rendel, but just

> because it hasn't happened doesn't mean it's not

> possible. The antisocial smells and aromas coming

> from these products are such that it would be wise

> to be cautious. Why not do it at home?

>

> Louisa.

They don't smell at all, or if they do it's barely noticeable.

E45 isn't exactly Napalm.

Seabag Wrote:

> Louisa Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I appreciate your cynicism rendel, but just

> > because it hasn't happened doesn't mean it's

> not

> > possible. The antisocial smells and aromas

> coming

> > from these products are such that it would be

> wise

> > to be cautious. Why not do it at home?

> >

> > Louisa.

>

> They don't smell at all, or if they do it's barely

> noticeable.

>

> E45 isn't exactly Napalm.

Seabag I direct you to the link provided above.

This thread is for two things. Firstly to prove a point about that nonsensical argument some posters were having with me about the dangers of some medicated creams. I was told I was talking bollocks, and yet the above article proves the validity of my point back then. Let's see if any of those people are prepared to come back and reflect on those comments after reading the BBC News article. The second point is to raise awareness and a warning to people not to use these products in confined public spaces.

Louisa.

I've been using some of these for for years, I work with fire and I've not become a human candle.

The one sitting in front of me contains 2.5 % liquid paraffin. That means the bottle has 97.5% of other stuff, which isn't paraffin. The wine you pour down your neck has more volatility.

I accept in extreme circumstances where the bed linen soaks in the stuff and someone's smoking in bed, (like what the fekk are you doing that and not anticipating danger) there is a risk. But FFS, what you doing doused in linen with that much of the stuff on it. It would take weeks to build up, and then smoking in bed. You're asking for trouble.

There is a risk, much like other risks in life and they're good to know and get a balanced view on, but high hysteria doesn't help. But these are extreme cases, none of us wearing this stuff in normal application are walking Molotov cocktails, about to autocombust.

But I suppose it's quite exciting thinking people might, whilst on a bus or other.

I have an amendment to make to my previous assertion

E45 (napalm) is actually 12.5% liquid paraffin (that's a whole TEN TIMES MORE VOLATILe than the one I have) So you could argue it's more volatile or equally as drinkable as your wine of choice.

Add the risk of drinking whilst slathered in cream, in bed smoking, and a sufferer of psoriasis is twice as likely to go up like Guy Fawkes at any moment.

I'd stick to vaping in the bedroom, for saftey's sake.

Louisa wrote - the completely ignorant nature of forcing others to be a part of your very personal experience.

Does that not cover a multitude of sins? The worst being people arguing or eating greasy food.

I would much prefer someone quietly putting on their make up. It's the least offensive of many things.

Jules-and-Boo Wrote:

> Louisa wrote - the completely ignorant nature of

> forcing others to be a part of your very personal

> experience.

>

> Does that not cover a multitude of sins? The worst

> being people arguing or eating greasy food.

>

> I would much prefer someone quietly putting on

> their make up. It's the least offensive of many

> things.

I have to agree that eating greasy food, talking or arguing loudly is the most annoying thing I see in public places. I don't use public transport for personal hygiene reasons, and because I am enjoying walking lately (and only using the car as and when needed due to lack of spaces locally and my car spot being nicked every time I move it). If however, I were on public transport I would find all of the above offensive, and my point about cream application incorporates not just the smells of which some people above suggest aren't pungent, some certainly can be. It's about the potential dangers to health too. Also, has any research been done into whether these creams can be damaging to people with lung/breathing difficulties?

Louisa.

Hopefully, as cities here become more crowded, there will be a tipping point, caused by day-in-day-out angst that will mean most people will act as thoughtfully as possible in a bid to show best practice eg. not using phones on speaker, not eating smelly food, moving upstairs/down the bus or carriage, just because the alternative would be so hellish.

When you see the bored teenager telling another to wrap up their chicken (pre) dinner and turn down their iPod volume on the 171 will be that day.

titch juicy Wrote:

> I have to be honest, it irritates me when I see people applying make up on the train or bus. I

> have no idea why; it's completely irrational and if anything I should be impressed they manage to

> get it on without it going everywhere.

It'd be fun if you were the bus driver though... a slight touch of the brake/accelerator just at the right time and she'd be off to work looking like Heath Ledger's version of the Joker.

Well I think anyone wearing any body moisturiser should be banned from public transport. There has been countless cases of buses and trains spontaneously combusting due to inconsiderate people moisturising their skin. The threat to others is huge. Better to shed flaky skin over the seats than cause a fire or collapsed lung. In fact it would be a good idea to ban any product that has a fragrant scent to it, body odour really is the only safe option.

And as for people putting make-up on while in public, what the h*ll are they thinking? Why aren't the police doing anything to crack down on such anti-social and dangerous behaviour? Just the other day I saw a girl's head randomly explode while applying lipstick, taking out the passenger next to her. Slap them with a public indecency charge and they'll soon learn some manners.

Thug life in East Dulwich