school incident advice requested

purplehaze

my yr 7 nephew had a penknife held against his leg at school. he told no one till he got home, was scared and refused to go school on the last day of term [ last Friday]. the school has been informed. what action does anyone know they can expect to be taken? comments or experience of similar requested. thanks

When I was teaching secondary school bringing any sort of blade into school was an automatic suspension, threatening anyone with it on school premises would be automatically reported to our police liaison officer for possible further action (ETA and would trigger permanent exclusion). That's only my experience but I'd be surprised if policies are much different now.

Someone planted a razor blade in my daughters top pocket in primary school, she got into trouble and the headteacher explained to me about the dangers of razor blades, as if I was an idiot, yes, I took the blame for it, as at that school all the other children were angels, (not) she also had well earned certificates stolen, the school didn't look into it. I took her out.

purplehaze I suggest you get to the bottom of what happened to your nephew and protect him.

As the school what their policy is for weapons in school. It's usually zero tolerance.

Knifes/ blades are an automatic exclusion. It may be that because of the knife-owners age, they are reinstated. I can't think so though. They should have been immediately suspended while an investigation takes place.

Your nephew has a right to be protected at school and I would raise very serious concerns with the school, the school governors, the PTA etc if they fail to act upon the report or the fact that a child at school had a knife.

The things is, children will gossip and if word gets out that someone had a knife and got away with it, what type of behavior is that validating?

Also - the child who brought the knife needs to be taught the dangers of knifes. It's more likely the knife owner gets stabbed than any other child.

Please take this as seriously as it should be. No one is out to punish a child for making an error of judgement or a stupid decision, but the gap in awareness is very serious. It takes a second for this to have become a very different story. God forbid.

I would call the police, eventually the police will talk to the school, which should get their attention.

An adult carrying perhaps could receive a custodial sentence, more likely if a knife was held against someone as a threat.

Personally I'd identify the parents and have a word with them too about why their child thinks it's OK to be using a knife to intimidate his peers in school.

Needs to be nipped in the bud sharpish.

and just to add - there are support services that the child would be referred to - to keep themselves safe as well - it's NOT to punish the child. It's about keeping everyone safe and that's of paramount importance.

I really hope you follow this up - if this is not taken seriously by the school - it paves the way for a repeated occurrence and your child has confided in you - and wants you to step in to protect him.

Should be an automatic exclusion but there are some slack senior staff in my extensive experience. Unforunately there are some heads that view their school as a safe haven for kids with a dubious home /street life and do not want to involve the police. Obviously the less street wise kids will suffer and will not feel safe. Please follow it up strenuously

Hopefully the child's parents have made an official 'complaint' in writing to both the head and chair of governors.

The pen knife carrying child may be imitating something he/she has seen in their own environment or on TV etc and does not understand the seriousness of their actions. It may well be an older child 10 plus - and if this case would be aware of the situation as if I recall 10 years of age means that they are deemed to know legally right from wrong.

It is essential that your nephew is not put into a situation where he is afraid to go to school as this could have long lasting consequences. Parents should try and get an appointment with the head if not during the holidays (many heads work during this time to catch up on paperwork) at least within the first couple of days of the new term.

I would also talk to your neighbourhood police team if there is no police liaison officer attached to school, for advice.

uncleglen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Should be an automatic exclusion but there are

> some slack senior staff in my extensive

> experience. Unforunately there are some heads that

> view their school as a safe haven for kids with a

> dubious home /street life and do not want to

> involve the police. Obviously the less street wise

> kids will suffer and will not feel safe. Please

> follow it up strenuously

I'd pretty much agree with this.

Be firm here.