DIY advice needed on coat hook wall attachment

louloulabelle

We are not a very accomplished diy family and a few days ago we fitted a coat hook rail onto internal hall wall. It's a plinth style one. 3 holes, rawl plugs and screwed to wall. Seemed very sturdy. 5 days later and it's just fallen off the wall, screws and plugs still attached to it.

Anyone shed some diy light on what we did wrong and how to re attach so it stays?

Thankyou !!!!!

could have been loose masonry i.e. the mortar between bricks if a n old/Victorian house.

Could be holes drilled were wider than required for rawl plugs or drill bit 'played' a bit, not cleaving a 'clean' hole.

Could be screws not long enough - many kits provide minimum possible length fittings and assume a 'perfect' installation scenario.

If it was plasterboard, that would seem to be the answer in itself. It's too thin on its own to provide much support. Your choice then would seem to be between locating the wooden timbers on which it's supported and hang from those, if you can loacte them and thay match your item, or using particular hanging devices in place of a plain screw. Googling on "hanging on plasterboard" provides loads of advice pages. https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2008/mar/01/diy.homes7 offers a general summary.

ianr Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If it was plasterboard, that would seem to be the

> answer in itself. It's too thin on its own to

> provide much support. Your choice then would seem

> to be between locating the wooden timbers on which

> it's supported and hang from those, if you can

> loacte them and thay match your item, or using

> particular hanging devices in place of a plain

> screw. Googling on "hanging on plasterboard"

> provides loads of advice pages.

> https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2008/mar/

> 01/diy.homes7 offers a general summary.

Is it single or double plasterboard.

I've had a TV hung on double plasterboard for 5 years using those

heavy duty plasterboard plugs (the metal type) - a coat hanger is

lightweight.

I'd say check what type of plug you're using (go for the ones that expand

behind the plasterboard).

Try 'butterfly' cavity wall rawl plugs, B&Q sell them, expect Dulwich DIY will too. I've used them in the past for those Ikea floating shelves that always sag with conventional plasterboard rawl plugs...

http://www.diy.com/departments/rawlplug-cavity-fixing-pack-of-6/254620_BQ.prd?ecamp=Seapla&ppc_type=shopping&ds_kids=92700017269565308&gclid=CMbLiPmiodMCFdZAGwodhLkCtg&gclsrc=aw.ds.ds&dclid=CKSfqfmiodMCFQ0j0wodNloI0Q

In my house, all the brickwork is crumbling away.. in order to screw anything substantial to the wall, I have to use enormous 10cm screws and plugs!!

An alternative idea, if the plaster is sound (and you never want to remove the hooks) is a "no more nails" type adhesive.

loulou - you kindly gave me some canvas recently for an art project, if you're stuck with this issue of fitting the coat hooks PM me and I'll pop over and have a look at it for you. Perhaps I can solve / suggest a fix, I have a bit of DIY experience.

red devil Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Try 'butterfly' cavity wall rawl plugs, B&Q sell

> them, expect Dulwich DIY will too. I've used them

> in the past for those Ikea floating shelves that

> always sag with conventional plasterboard rawl

> plugs...

> http://www.diy.com/departments/rawlplug-cavity-fix

> ing-pack-of-6/254620_BQ.prd?ecamp=Seapla&ppc_type=

> shopping&ds_kids=92700017269565308&gclid=CMbLiPmio

> dMCFdZAGwodhLkCtg&gclsrc=aw.ds.ds&dclid=CKSfqfmiod

> MCFQ0j0wodNloI0Q

I've used these butterfly fixings with great success on hollow old lathe and plaster, which is very hit and miss depending on what is behind it (lathes, stone, mortar, brick etc.)

Everyone else has give sound advice - the screws and rawlplugs provided are usually a bit rubbish; take the hook into a DIY place like Plough and they should be able to sell you some decent screws and rawl plugs with good change from a fiver.