Receipts

lavender27

A box of fish fingers, eaten satisfactorily in August 2008 - probably you can let that one drop into recycling.

A TV with 5yr guarantee, bought 12yrs ago - probably you can let that one drop into recycling.

A jacket bought last week - probably hold on to that one in case something goes wrong with it as you'd expect a bit of wear from it.

The airline lost my suitcase once and the insurance company wanted receipts for everything I was claiming. Needless to say I couldn't find any. So if you do a lot of travelling, perhaps keeping clothes receipts might be useful.

You should really keep them at least until you are dead.

Although financial authorities, such as HMRC and DWP, may only want to inspect receipts from the last seven years or so, that's because there are limits to how far into the past they can be bothered to peer.

The police however, judging by what I see on telly, are able to extend their investigations indefinitely. But, unlike the folk on the telly, I would have no idea what I was doing at 11:30 on August 4th 1992, if it wasn't for the receipt from Till 17 at the Doncaster Morrisons. That little slip of paper, that ephemeral list of inadvisable groceries, might well be the only thing between me and life imprisonment, the only proof I wasn't in a Warrington crypt, drawing pentacles round a lifeless verger.

You may resent having to store them, but they take up relatively little space - a lot less than the space you're at risk of losing if you don't maintain a library of alibis.

Could you prove that it was actually your receipt, Burbage? You could have taken it from the verger's pocket as an alibi. Morrison't won't keep CCTV that long, so unless you intended to summon up a helpful demon outside your protective pentagon to back-up you story, I don't think you've got a hope.Buy a drone now so your nearest and dearest can send you a few home comforts..

Burbage Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Although financial authorities, such as HMRC and

> DWP, may only want to inspect receipts from the

> last seven years or so, that's because there are

> limits to how far into the past they can be

> bothered to peer.

I thought this arrangement (and possibly law) had now been revoked.