George Osborne

womanofdulwich

I am a left wing Labour supporter. But I am glad Osborne is in charge of the Standard. Hopefully it means May will have some meaningful and effective opposition (on brexit at least), even if it is in the media and not the commons.

It's not a time to hold on to former impressions of people (I was a Corbyn supporter to start with) and the likes of Osborne, Blair, Campbell etc., while odious in a previous incarnation are now the ones making the noises I want to hear.

I just find Georgie Porgie an amusing nickname for him, considering all the jobs etc ... people are questioning at present.

Naughty "Georgie Porgie" of the Stuart era!

The origins of the lyrics to "Georgie Porgie" are English and refer to the courtier George Villiers, 1st duke of Duke of Buckingham (1592?1628). King James I took Villiers as his lover and nicknamed him "Steenie" (a reference to St. Stephen whom in the Bible describes as having the "face of an angel"). Villier's good looks also appealed to the ladies and his highly suspect morals were much in question!

Affair with the married lady - the Queen of France!

Villiers most notorious affair was with his liaison with Anne of Austria, (1601-1666) who was the Queen of France and married to the French King Louis XIII badly injured both of their reputations. This, however, was overlooked due to his great friendship with the English King, James I (1586-1625). He was disliked by both courtiers and commoners, not least for helping to arrange the marriage of King James' son to the French Catholic princess Henrietta Maria (1609-1669) - he later became King Charles I (1600-1649). George Villiers (Georgie Porgie) exercised great influence over the King who allowed him many liberties. Villiers private liaisons and political scheming were questioned and Parliament who finally lost patience and stopped the King intervening on behalf of "Georgie Porgie". The romantic elements of of George Villiers and Anne of Austria are featured in the novel 'The Three Musketeers' by Alexander Dumas.

uncleglen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> here we go- you can't get the better of someone

> intellectually so you resort to things like- 'he

> makes me feel queasy', 'georgie porgie'....is this

> setting the tone for the whole pre-election

> period?

In all honesty, it's pretty light stuff compared to some of the cark you come out wth.

Pot/Kettle ?