New Speeding Laws

jacks09

jacks09 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I thought it was even for cases that didn't go to

> court?

Yes, expect the new fines will be imposed when processed. If the law had changed you'd have to be charged under the law in place at the time of offence, but as it's just the sentencing guidelines they'll be applied at sentencing/sending out the PCN.

How fast were you going anyway (assuming you're asking for yourself)? The minimum fine - ?100 + 3 points - hasn't been changed, so if you were going 34 in a 30 zone or similar you shouldn't have to face the new levels of fine.

rendelharris Wrote:

> jacks09 Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I thought it was even for cases that didn't go

> to

> > court?

>

> Yes, expect the new fines will be imposed when

> processed. If the law had changed you'd have to

> be charged under the law in place at the time of

> offence, but as it's just the sentencing

> guidelines they'll be applied at

> sentencing/sending out the PCN.

>

> How fast were you going anyway (assuming you're

> asking for yourself)? The minimum fine - ?100 + 3

> points - hasn't been changed, so if you were going

> 34 in a 30 zone or similar you shouldn't have to

> face the new levels of fine.

?100 isn't much - Sky were talking about 150% of your

weekly salary - and I bet that's gross.

JohnL Wrote:

> ?100 isn't much - Sky were talking about 150% of

> your

> weekly salary - and I bet that's gross.

That's for really bad offences - 41MPH in a 20MPH zone up to 101MPH on the motorway. Can go up to 175%! But, unfairly in my opinion, the fines are capped at ?1000 and ?2500 for non-motorway and motorway offences respectively, so the footballer in his Aston, for example, will get a gnat bite he won't even notice, about four hours' pay, while someone on minimum wage will lost nearly two weeks' pay. All in favour of harsh penalties for dangerous drivers, but it seems as ever the law is advantageous for the wealthy.

jacks09 Wrote:

> I thought it was even for cases that didn't go to court?

No. The guidelines are specifically for courts, to deal with cases brought before them (regardless of whether or not a personal attendance is required). FPNs, for those who are offered and accept them, are unaffected.

If you didn't even think you were speeding, I think it's rather unlikely that you'd come within the range of the changed penalties anyway: see http://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/blog/post/changes-to-fine-levels-for-speeding/.

For details of more guideline revisions brought in today for motoring offences http://www.pattersonlaw.co.uk/uk-road-traffic-sentencing-guidelines-get-tougher-on-24th-april-2017/ looks like a good starting point. For other types of offence go straight to http://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/news/item/revised-magistrates-court-sentencing-guidelines-published/.

Had my fair share of speeding fines, all in the 80s when there was more police with speed guns as opposed to gatsos where you know where the traps are. Varied from - you must be kidding, it's a dual carriageway with no houses (40 in a 30 area) to "its a fair cop guv". Since then through a mixture of growing up and a little luck (when gatsos didn't necessarily have film in them) nil points (in a dodgy continental accent).

First time I got caught I moaned to an uncle, who replied that for the sake of a few minutes time saved I got myself a relatively large fine. I expected him to say "bloody authorities" (He obviously was not a Daily Mail reader). That really stuck with me (that he wasn't on my side, rather than didn't read the Mail).

I've been flashed in France a few times - where there is no recipricol arrangemet with the UK so can't enforce, but each time its a reminder, and there is virtually no tolerence on their cameras. Now drivng in France I see most being within a couple of percent of the limit, and that with lower traffic density mean much less congestion on the dual carriageways. And I can just put it in cruise control and relax.

My one recent speeding fine was in a hire car in Austria. The Tyrolian authorites were so sweet to deal with, let me post cash (80 euros I think) rather than an expensive bank transfer and thanked me by e-mail. It was almost a pleasure being done out there.

Anyway I'm rambling. My point was I overheard a bloke in Bromley saying he'd been caught at 85+ on the A2 (70mph) and was being threatened with a couple of thousand pound fine or go on a speed awareness course. The cock was bragging that he was going to fight it. What a nob.

Like I have done grow up and see speed limits as a social good.