Hacked tweet sent on The Perryvale's account

Brulysses

Brought to my attention by SNARL, this was tweeted by the twitter account of the Perryvale bar in response to a tweet about the cat serial killer: 'it's just a cat...#pussybashing They taste great with a pinot grigio !!' I can't believe that a respectable company (which also runs the Crooked Well) would tweet something like this, it's in extremely poor taste and I for one will boycott both the Perryvale and the Crooked Well.

(Title changed by Admin)

They have already removed it however someone has a screenshot of the tweet, cue rampant social media hysterical "realy[sic] hope you go out of business" type messages and the original post here to stir up disrespect. Personally I like pinot grigio.

So what did they think the original tweet would do, Mark? I am not 'stirring up disrespect', I am calling out a commercial organisation for a sh*tty, tasteless tweet about something which is a serious problem, which is exactly what this forum is for...idiot.

Brulysses Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> So what did they think the original tweet would

> do, Mark? I am not 'stirring up disrespect', I am

> calling out a commercial organisation for a

> sh*tty, tasteless tweet about something which is a

> serious problem, which is exactly what this forum

> is for...idiot.

Did you speak to them directly before making your decision to boycott? Because I reckon the responsible thing to do would be to give them the chance to speak in their own defence before condemning them for something it seems (note I say 'seems') for which they are not to blame.

JoeLeg Wrote:

> Brulysses Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > So what did they think the original tweet would

> > do, Mark? I am not 'stirring up disrespect', I

> am

> > calling out a commercial organisation for a

> > sh*tty, tasteless tweet about something which is

> a

> > serious problem, which is exactly what this

> forum

> > is for...idiot.

>

> Did you speak to them directly before making your

> decision to boycott? Because I reckon the

> responsible thing to do would be to give them the

> chance to speak in their own defence before

> condemning them for something it seems (note I say

> 'seems') for which they are not to blame.

^this

If they think that's a joke I'll gladly join a boycott, but as they're disclaiming responsibility and seemingly taking action it might have been more seemly to ask for an explanation and then post about them if it was unsatisfactory.

ETA Sorry posted before saw JoeLeg's post - what he said.

Brulysses Wrote:

> So what did they think the original tweet would

> do, Mark? I am not 'stirring up disrespect', I am

> calling out a commercial organisation for a

> sh*tty, tasteless tweet about something which is a

> serious problem, which is exactly what this forum

> is for...idiot.

"This horrible tweet did not come from the Perryvale

or it's staff and we are looking into this. We are

deeply sorry"

As you said it's a respectable company however it made a mistake, it's apologised for it and positive action has been taken. This forum is meant to be a fun and useful place for East Dulwich, it's not exactly for "calling out a commercial organisation for a sh*tty, tasteless tweet", however it may be used for that, I can't see any problem. OK they're premises in Forest Hill and Camberwell but hey, this is the Lounge.

Great, you've called out "a respectable company (which also runs the Crooked Well)", you're going to boycott them but why make all the staff 'suffer' because of lost business? Do we really need comments like "realy[sic] hope you go out of business". Do you think the barman at the Crooked Well should get his shifts cut because of lack of business because of a boycott because of a tweet from someone at the Perryvale that was live for a few hours? I don't.

If they showed support the cat killer and suggest they do more cat killing then yes, take action but in reality it was a joke tweet that went wrong. Noone died and no cats died.

b-b-b-but they called me an idiot sir!

I agree with turtle that it's a "tasteless, nasty tweet by this person", it's just the daft storm in a tea cup but let's make it a big issue and bring this small company to its knees for a misdemeanor attitude that annoys me.

It makes some people and small companies scared to be creative or try things out because they fear a massive reprimand from this type of thing instead of simply saying whoops, I won't do that again.

Mark Wrote:

> As you said it's a respectable company however it

> made a mistake, it's apologised for it and

> positive action has been taken. This forum is

> meant to be a fun and useful place for East

> Dulwich, it's not exactly for "calling out a

> commercial organisation for a sh*tty, tasteless

> tweet", however it may be used for that, I can't

> see any problem. OK they're premises in Forest

> Hill and Camberwell but hey, this is the Lounge.

>

Too true. Well posted. Move on everyone. Nothing to see here. This element (Tweeting) of modern life can be truly rubbish. Let's get back to jolly banter (pub talk as we oldies call it)

They were hacked and have reported it to the police. I have known Jen and Hector since they opened the Crooked Well and anyone who's ever had any contact with them would know that they would categorically never post something like this. I really hope all those jumping on the hate bandwagon will get back in their boxes as I'd hate for this to negatively affect the businesses that they have worked so hard to build up.

Jeremy Wrote:

> I highly doubt they've been "hacked". I suspect

> they've simply delegated social media to the wrong

> staff member. I'm sure it's been dealt with.

doubt it's the Russians.

People do common social engineering things - like use the public WiFi password or something similar or the name of your dog.

Story attached

http://www.croydonadvertiser.co.uk/devastated-bar-owner-claims-she-was-hacked-over-sick-croydon-cat-killer-tweet/story-30295535-detail/story.html