Advice needed: flying ant invasion

IlonaM

I have been invaded again by flying ants. Last year it was June, this year May in kitchen and bathroom. Have tried the gel baits, but they appear to be too street smart to do anymore than walk over the top. Tried some homemade spray (water, washing up liquid and peppermint oil) yesterday and cleared up those on the windows, but they're back today. Just found possible entrance to nest site in airing cupboard.

Has anyone had any success in both deterring an invasion and dealing with a nest?

All advice gratefully received.

You can get ant baits. Don't know if there are kinds other than what you've already used.

They eat it, take it back to the nest and die.

Probably Farmers or a DIY shop would have them? And probably other suitable things? I doubt there's any non chemical solution apart from boiling water on the nest?

But surely it's far too early for flying ants?

Hi Sue,

Not too early if you're at my end of Underhill it seems!!!! Last year they arrived in June - not so many. This year they arrived in force over the Bank Holiday weekend - must have been the mildish winter.

Have got bait traps, but they are not biting (so to speak).

This morning I found possible entrances to a nest in the back of the airing cupboard behind the hot water tank.