Artificial lawns??

apbremer

I,and, I suspect, many others,am fed up with seeding or turfing bare bits of lawn each Spring(usually unsuccessfully) and all the mowing and fiddling around with moss etc.during the year. Has anyone out there any experience with artificial grass??

Hello! I have no experience of it myself but my neighbour has it. It was very expensive for their small garden, about ?3000. IT LOOKS AWFUL. Lawns can be hard work if you are very bothered about the moss and dandelions etc. Mine has moss, dandelions, daisies, buttercups etc, I think there are more weeds and moss than grass ... BUT i enjoyed watching an early bumble bee on the daisies, and the robins, tits etc gathering up moss for their little nest behind the ivy. Or fledging blackbirds being taught to pull out worms. If you can live with a less than perfect lawn please do. You can keep some of the weeds down with spot killers, or just by picking off the dandelion flowers before they turn to seed.

If you have too much lawn to cope with perhaps you could consider throwing some wild flower seeds around and leaving a bit of it for a meadow area? Then you would just have to cut it once a year?

The man next door was struggling to rake off debris, pick up berries etc, he got the hoover out, but it didn't work well, there he was one berry at a time. I think there is a place for fake grass, on balconies where you can't grow it.

Would you appreciate a bunch of plastic roses? Best wishes.

You don't make it clear why you have to re-seed (dryness/ shade/ over-use?) - but there are many natural alternatives to grass (and some very tough rye grasses where over-use is the issue). Embrace clover and moss - they are both green and clover is great for bees. Allow areas to wild (go to hay) and mow only in July when the grasses go over. Work with nature where you can, not against it. Think of alternative ground cover - under some trees I now have gravel with shade/ dry loving plants (including crocuses before the trees leaf up), wild (creeping) geraniums and thin leaved (drought tolerant) herbs growing through it. The gravel is laid over membrane, so I get the things growing that I want.

60sm is an excellent size to manage in terms of achieving a lawn that can be a huge asset.

If you put down artificial grass, it will never look good ? even on day one. Artificial lawns are real naff and only get worse as times progresses.

A natural lawn is a real asset and well worth the effort. It increases the value of your property and you can later look on it with a sense of pride and achievement. That said, if you have a have problems at present, I am sure these can be cured with a bit of effort and a little investment.

Moss is the outcome of poor drainage and lack of sunlight. Drainage you can be fixed but if the shade comes from your neighbour, then that is a bit more difficult.

Bare patches are easily fixed and here its worthwhile investing in some top soil and top dressing which will give you a good foundation for a healthy sward in due course.

Depending on what you have, I would recommend a good scarifying followed by aeration and then top soil/dressing with grass seed.

I have artificial grass in my teeny tiny east dulwich garden. It didn't make sense for me to put down real grass. For the few sq ft I didn't want to then have to store a lawn mower.

Personally I think it looks great. It is long, lush and soft. Artificial lawns have come a long way in the last few years and some look fantastic. I would agree some also look awful. I have 'easi grass - mayfair'. It's the top of their range so excellent quality. It has a shock absorbant underlay and feels just like walking on carpet. If you'd like to come and have a look at mine you'd be more than welcome.

No no no no no no no no

Artificial grass is fine for all weather football pitches. And lining butcher's display shelves.

It's the thin end of the wedge. It's dumbing down of society. It supports no ecosystems. You may as well just pave your garden (and paradise). And put up stone cladding; there is no compromise here.

I am out seeding and watering in April and October (preferably using water from the butt, if there was any damn rain). And still the moss comes back. I'll continue to do this until the day I die.

Wars have been fought for less. Turn again Dick Whittington

Waffo Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

I have 'easi

> grass - mayfair'. It's the top of their range so

> excellent quality. It has a shock absorbant

> underlay and feels just like walking on carpet.

Erm... !!!

Didn't realise something natural like grass was meant to feel like carpet.

apbremer is there more to why you're considering this silly fad of artificial outdoor greenery other than sheer lazyness?

Yes ,work with nature - your own as well as the planets .A perfect lawn is v hard work ,some lovely green grass with moss and daisies is more doable .

I've had no luck improving drainage for my grass but have found the shady grass seed good .

I've also mainly failed at reseeding - squirrels dig it up,it's hard to protect ,and can't be cut for ages .So I'm going to try producing a supply of my own little patches by growing grass in gravel trays .

Hi apbremer

Some people are very keen on maintaining a lawn and each to their own.

I have a large area out back that was laid over with artificial grass two years ago. Best decision ever.

Our garden was cast in shade for large parts due to a huge apple tree in the neighbouring garden. The falling apples used to wreak havoc with the lawn and it was generally in a state.

We have young children and they love the fact that they can run around in the garden all year round. I love the fact that they can do this without the lawn looking like Glastonbury for half the year.

Happy to PM you with details/picture if you'd like...

Sue Wrote:

> God I hate artificial grass. What's the point of having a garden?

To enjoy a bit of fresh air and (occasional) sunshine? Not everyone enjoys mowing the lawn and gardening.

Personally I don't mind mowing the lawn, but it always has lumps and bare patches. It's not always easy to find the time to aerate and put down top soil and seed. I can see why some people would rather not have the hassle.

Jeremy Wrote:

> I can see why some people would

> rather not have the hassle.

Apart from the cost of the artificial grass you still have the outlay for preparing the ground for it. Even then it is not maintenance free. For the same overall cost and a little effort you can have a living, breathing sward that is a delight all year round.

I stick with what i said, there is a miniature world of life in a lawn, even if its a bit unsightly. My dad's neighbour was really obsessed about his grass (and I later found disturbingly obsessed about a lot of stuff), The lawn looked nice and green, he'd spend hours and hours, raking, top dressing, feeding it, aerating it, NO ONE WAS ALLOWED TO STEP ON IT !! Who bothers to spend days sifting manure and varnishing canes and measuring the gaps between bedding plants ....... EEEEKKKK