(motor) bikes I have had.

malumbu

Started on a Yammy RS 125 single at 20 (relatively old), then a 250 Honda Superdream (as the masses did, but got caught up when learner laws changed making it worthless), Suzy 380 two stroke GT380 tripple (knock knock, who's that, my piston seizing - but now quite collectable, weird Honda CBX 550, monster Kwaka Z1100A shaft (disolved into rust), ancient Honda 250 (about 1975), French grey import Yamaha 750 shaft, then two Kwaka ZZR600s, first got stolen and the seoond I used so infrequently that it just started falling apart. Then, even though I hadn't reached middle age, just seemed pointless as I wasn't riding. Had push bikes for most of the time too.

Always wanted a A10 (Beezer) and have ridden a couple of them. Borrowed a BM k100 (odd tripple 1000cc) and also ran a c90 step through doing it up for someone and got a Suzie 100 dumped on me once.

Dunno how I would cope if I was a kid nowadays, 75 part test and insurance at about ten grand. Have a Jersey motorbike license somewhere (long out of date) as well as a UK one.

Sometimes I surprise people by telling them of my biking days. Doing 500 miles in day coming to an interview for example.

Only one crash when a Riley Elf (in Jersey) pulled across me driven by a old lady. I had to call the OB who turned up on a BMW R80 twin and worked out quickly who was to blame. A Riley Elf was a variant of the mini (like the Wolsley Hornet). Leathers and helmets are probably still in the loft.

Tell us about your bikes, young and old (bikes and people).

We used to tank up and down the fields on a Dandy moped, then I had an NSU Quickly on which I'd visit my girlfriend's house five miles away. Aged 15, no helmet, no lights.

I saved up ?11 for a BSA Bantam but the old man wouldn't let me have it so I bought a pair of boots instead. Briefly, there was a Matchless 250 twin that I kept around a mate's house. Dad asked why I needed a Belstaff.

Back in the day, I was drinking with friends at the Grove on Lordship Lane and we were admiring the bikes over the road at Streamline. They dared me to and slightly tanked up, I went over and bought a Honda XR 250 trials bike on the never never.

I used it to commute to Oxford Street but then realised I suffered from chronic road rage and was probably going to die so I got rid of it.

Amazingly I only ever fell off once.

Jawa 50 (Czech), shared it with a mate as my parents would've hit the roof if they knew I was riding a motor bike, even off road.

He kept it at his house, and we used to bomb up and down the playing field that backed onto his garden...

http://www.pajka.info/img/mojestroje/1968-jawa-50-typ-21-sport-modra/jawa-50-typ-21-sport_01.jpg

Started with Suzuki GSX250 which went through about 4 friends as we learnt and upgraded, then moved on to a Suzuki RG250 2-stroke (because I couldn't afford an RGV250) which I thought made me a GP star but in reality was bloody loud and annoying, then got a dirt bike desire and bought Yamaha DT200 2-stroke. Managed to save some cash and upgrade to Suzuki GSXR750...which was amazing and would do motorway speed in 1st gear which I then sold for overseas trip, back home to an old dual-shock Yamaha XT250 which I wish I still had (actually I wish I still had all the bikes!), then on to two Kawasaki Z750's (1980) that I gave a full rebuild into one complete bike. From there to a Piaggio Liberty 50cc, to Suzuki Bandit 600, to Kawasaki Z750 (2007), to BMW 800.

Always wanted a Ducati Mike Hailwood replica (early 80's).

Great thread, I'll refrain from commenting on the excellent posts (beyond I almost bought a MZ150 and my mate ran Jawa 350s). More please.

My only other addition is that the incredibly unreliable GT380 - one big end seizure, and two broken pistons, all separate incidents, and three sets of points, can now fetch ?4 - ?6k, I sold if for a few hundred in today's money. Now as for a kettle.....

I'm new to the two wheel world.

Spent a year on a Kymco 125 before got the full licence. I don't recommend them - an old Jap would probably have been much better value. Hence if you see this particular old Jap, it's me on it:

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn185/idiotboy77/F79AAE64-A52F-4F36-9E6D-80B6B6226D2F_zpsduvarvco.jpg

(YX600 Radian, touch wood not doing too badly for a 30 year old)

Started on a Kawasaki KE100 which really was poor but was a start. It broke down and I left it by the side of the road in Weybridge and it still took about 3 weeks for someone to steal it it was that bad. The the police knocked on my door two years later to tell me they found it. Two years later, Police at the door at 11 at night, I was assuming someone had died.

Moved up to a KMX125 which I rode up and down the A3 with the throttle on the stop to work and back, followed by a cloud of blue smoke, for a a couple of years. I got stopped coming off the A3 at Hinchley Wood, apparently they'd had reports of someone filtering "at high speed" and thought it might be me. It's only a 125 I said.. Still showed 70 on the clocks though.. Got written off in an accident but I bought it back for no money and got another year out of it before it got nicked.

Then an RD350LC, obviously. Good job it seized at a slow speed.

550 Katana. I thought it looked great but it wasn't all that on reflection. My brother sold that along with my bass amp when I was travelling, little sod.

R80ST - it had 140,000 on the clock when I bought it and was fine. Although one of the exhaust downpipes did fall off one the A12 one morning as I'd forgotten to boot it in before I set off.

Diversion 900s. Probably one of my favourites. 40 mile each way commute made very easy, a labrador of a bike. I was genuinely upset when that one got nicked.

Former AA Roadwatch Pan European. A bit big for commuting but great for motorways. Still had the police style stickers on it and single seat, people jump out of the way when your'e on that.

SLR650 for a year or so. Nothing to say.

Have now been riding a 2001 FZS600 to work and back for the last 3 years with the occasional weekend jaunt and have to say it is a cracking bike. Fast enough for 99% of occasions, comfy enough for a few hours, carbs so nice and simple, heated grips, stainless exhaust blah blah. Great bike. Get one.

At 16 had a Batavus Moped - a bright orange, belt-driven piece of sh1t that was too heavy with unnecessary 'style' points for the 49cc engine (tank mounted high up like a 'proper' bike, bench saddle etc.) and was easily outstripped by my mate's dinky little Honda - a step-through with a bicycle saddle and half the weight - the smell of 2-stroke still brings back memories.

Couldn't afford the 2nd hand Triumph Tiger Cub I wanted (lots around as they were only made up the road) but my older brother gave me his Honda 90 when he got a car - no clutch, 3 gears and not fast but a good workhorse - carried all sorts of stuff on that for a year or so.

in order, over 25 year period:

yamaha RD125 (teardrop tank)

yamaha XJ400 import

vespa rallye

yamaha XT250 trials bike (bare aluminium tank)

vespa GT 125

vespa sprint

Moto Guzzi V50 ex italian police bike, black and white

vespa T5

suzuki sv650

ktm duke 2.

triumph T100 bonneville

triumph street scrambler2017

Vespa GTS 300

yamaha TMax

KTM 990 Adventure