Consultation on government air quality plan

malumbu

There was a lot of interest on air quality on this site, but it seems to have gone quiet. Respond by 15 June. www.gov.uk/government/news/new-air-quality-plan-published-for-consultation I think most manifestos have commitments. I've tried to raise the broader picture under the diesel cars thread. Do read the plan and give views, there are no simple answers in a Western economy and I worry that Brexit and the Election will marginalise the Environment and that future governments will not want to intervene against the motorist as this loses votes. No rise in fuel tax for 13 years now.

https://www.clientearth.org/major-victory-health-uk-high-court-government-inaction-air-pollution/

Government really needs to be working with groups

who are genuinely concerned with our health and the future of this planet.

A summary of the responses received from last consultation responses for the implementation of clean air zones.It does not offer a detailed opinion of the comments recieved.can't paste it.

Link below on government trying to delay draft.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/apr/27/air-pollution-plan-election-campaign-bomb-court-government

Here's a highlight of there draft.

http://www.airqualitynews.com/2017/05/05/draft-air-quality-plan/

uncleglen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Whatever it is- it's too little too late

Thank you ray of sunshine. It may, depressingly, be too late for the planet - though opinion is divided on that - but it's not too late to give people clean air to breathe. Remember how sparkling the air is when it shows and nobody can get their cars out - twenty-four hours and a favourable wind is all it takes.

When you cycle regularly you can't help noticing that there are people who happily drive around in vehicles that they must know (if they ever use their rear-view mirror) are pumping out fumes and particles into the faces of pedestrians and cyclists. Clamping down on that would help, as would making people switch off engines when stationary.

Yes RPC- it is ALL up to the individual to be responsible- but as we have seen for decades now - most individuals are selfish and therefore will do nothing to improve things. And as for making people switch off their engines when stationary....only yesterday I saw a diesel BMW, engine running, driver texting- I crossed over to avoid the fumes- how will that be enforced? I know some newer cars have engines that stop when stationary at traffic lights etc - that would have to be mandatory for all new cars.

But that does nothing to stop the air borne particulates from construction- I just wish for rain....this weather is perfect- sunny and downpours

Cycling for an hour or so in London is good for your health. If you were cycling all day then the exposures would outweigh the cardio-vascular benefits. These aren't my words but an acedemic expert. Air quality is worse in-vehicle, particular for cabbies. There have been some good pop science programmes that explain this well.

Sadly I can't find the programme on Youtube http://www.open.edu/openlearn/whats-on/tv/bang-goes-the-theory-series-7-episode-8

https://www.ovguide.com/tv_episode/bang-goes-the-theory-season-7-episode-8-air-pollution-4520959

Neither actually seem to show the programme, anyway they put monitors on a commuter cyclist, rail commuter and driver in Brum and exposure increased in that order. It was repeated with the same results on a more recent science programme.

• 2 months later...

So the plan is out. The media has picked up on the ban of petrol and diesel vehicles by 2040. All vehicles? Is this any different to this, the last and the one before that government's target that all new cars and vans would be zero emission by 2040. Is this Gove simply making his mark?

Is the plan any good or simply passing the buck to local authorities. Will it change your life? Discuss.