Help! Stain removal!

Sue

I have a white duvet cover which had two lots of (what I thought were) tea stains on it.

I've just used the Stain Devil for tea, and one lot of stains (which were definitely tea) have come off fine, but the other lot have turned bright yellow :(

If the stains weren't tea I have no idea what they were, but they were on the top of the cover at the bottom end so must be something spilled (before somebody starts making rude suggestions).

Both sets of stains looked exactly the same (very pale brown).

Does anybody know what I can do now, apart from bleach which I'm not keen on?

It was a new cover, as well :(

It must be something which has reacted chemically with the Stain Devil, which (not very helpfully) just says "contains amongst other ingredients 15 - 30% Oxygen-based bleaching agent".

I am contacting their customer services but hoping someone here might have some suggestions sooner!

Sodium disilicate is a thickening agent which is used to get the product to the right consistency. It probably won't do anything for removing stains.

Sodium percarbonate is a mixture of sodium carbonate and hydrogen peroxide. The peroxide will be the bleaching/stain removing agent and the sodium carbonate is there to help stabilise the peroxide to give the product a longer shelf life.

It's possible that a stronger peroxide solution will do the trick of removing the stain, but I'm not sure that the 6% stuff you can buy over the counter in a chemist will be any stronger than the stain devil, so you may as well try that a second time.

Cardelia Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

I'm

> not sure that the 6% stuff you can buy over the

> counter in a chemist will be any stronger than the

> stain devil, so you may as well try that a second

> time.

Thanks, but the Stain Devil I used (there are several different kinds, and the one I used was specifically for tea plus some other things) has made the stain worse, so it can't have been a tea stain or it would have removed it, not turned it yellow!

Therefore I don't want to put more of it on .....

Thanks everyone for your help, cannot do anything about it today but will have another look tomorrow .....

• 6 months later...

Thanks all, not sure why this thread has been resurrected now over six months later, but anyway the "worse" yellow stain came out when I washed it as normal after using the Stain Devil.

Thanks for everybody's suggestions, anyway, which I will bear in mind for the future!