Theresa May accused live on TV of lying about numbers of police

Jules-and-Boo

Yawn. Ex Police officer.

Peter Kirkham - apparent self-appointed 'commentator'. Describes himself on Twitter profile as "Former police officer & commentator on policing issues. Top Rantologist. Fuckwit intolerant".

Here he is defending the indefensible of police conduct (Hillsborough cover up, Ian Tomlinson cover up, Jean Charles de Menezes cover up) and getting a roasting from Carole Malone of the Mirror on the BBC's Sunday Politics Show.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-24610229/police-trust-debate-carole-malone-and-peter-kirkham

He wasn't quite so mouthy then!

I dont understand people like this basically saying the police could have done a better job tham they did.

I think they did an amazing job at the weekend in the face of the most abhorrent attacks on our society and it is awful that what follows is not congratulation but instead the implicit criticism that there weren't enough of them and they should have done more.

It is shameful.

Crime has actually been dropping quite significantly overall so we don't need the absolute numbers and budget - how we allocate the resource for modern problems is a different issue but this is pure politics.

(see also fireman numbers relative to the significant fall in fires - still get the same emotive arguments).

Anyway, anyone posted Corbyn's views on shoot to kill or not prosecuting ISIS supporters yet today? - probably not on the middle-class, sanctimonious, Virtue signalling toss that dominates the EDF.

It's highly unlikely that any more police officers would have prevented the attacks the other day. Even Diane's 250,000 extra officers wouldn't have done that - greater intelligence service numbers might have made a difference.

I find it distasteful that immediately after the atrocity that just happened, Labour supporters are desperately trying to make political capital out of such horrors by implying (without actually saying) that reduced police numbers somehow contributed to what happened. I think it is disrespectful.

It's also pretty shameful when you think that Diane Abbott and John McDonnell were each recently calling for MI5 to be disbanded. JM even called for all armed police to be disbanded. Lucky he didn't get his way before Saturday night. Here he is...

https://twitter.com/SCLV_UK/status/583702644738416640/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2F

I didn't at all read into it any criticism of the police. Quite the opposite actually.

I'm a bit disappointed that messages are being misinterpreted to suit individual agendas.

So far (and after only three posts), it's

1) not fact because he's a leftie. It

2) fact but it doesn't matter as crime is falling

3) criticism of the job our police did on Saturday night

???? Wrote:

>

> Anyway, anyone posted Corbyn's views on shoot to

> kill or not prosecuting ISIS supporters yet today?

> - probably not on the middle-class, sanctimonious,

> Virtue signalling toss that dominates the EDF.

This!

No - complete silence. Just sniping about police numbers. Probably some sanctimonious crap to come in response to this, but there you go, that will just prove your point. Probably some big long clever words too, that we will be told we won't understand, because we are too simple, or too bigoted.

All of which is true, and none of which actually means he's wrong.

I'm interested to see if the govt are concerned enough to rebut his points, or if anyone else speaks up in agreement; if they have achieved an 'increase' by combing out other parts of the force and increasing shift length then that's not good. If that's what they've actually done, of course.

Corbyn has simply demonstrated again why he'd make a terrible PM...

Abe_froeman Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I dont understand people like this basically

> saying the police could have done a better job

> tham they did.

>

> I think they did an amazing job at the weekend in

> the face of the most abhorrent attacks on our

> society and it is awful that what follows is not

> congratulation but instead the implicit criticism

> that there weren't enough of them and they should

> have done more.

>

> It is shameful.

Of course they did - 8 minutes - but at the expense of lower level crimes perhaps ?. and it's stopping the lower level crimes which stop the higher level crimes.

I did note the fact that "everyone" in the borough carries knives was shown to be wrong - we are all basically defenseless other than broken bottles etc.

robbin Wrote:

> It's highly unlikely that any more police officers

> would have prevented the attacks the other day.

> Even Diane's 250,000 extra officers wouldn't have

> done that - greater intelligence service numbers

> might have made a difference.

>

> I find it distasteful that immediately after the

> atrocity that just happened, Labour supporters are

> desperately trying to make political capital out

> of such horrors by implying (without actually

> saying) that reduced police numbers somehow

> contributed to what happened. I think it is

> disrespectful.

>

> It's also pretty shameful when you think that

> Diane Abbott and John McDonnell were each recently

> calling for MI5 to be disbanded. JM even called

> for all armed police to be disbanded. Lucky he

> didn't get his way before Saturday night. Here he

> is...

>

> https://twitter.com/SCLV_UK/status/583702644738416

> 640/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F

> %2F

It's simple enough to find out what police think

about the cuts outside of looking at what TM or JC stance is.

It is distasteful labour supporters are being accused of desperately trying to make political capital out of the horrors.And doing it without

Actually saying, what does that mean????

Disgusting.

Of course even when talking about terrorism - this guy was known

Why wasn't he watched - resources of course.

Katie calling for internment of the entire watchlist - but that would mean prison camps being created etc.

rahrahrah Wrote:

> Johnsson also pretty awful on R4 this morning. The

> presenter actually pleaded with him to stop

> talking at one point.

He definitely does not have Theresa Mays back on this.

I'd tell her watch out for him.

rahrahrah Wrote:

> Just heard that abbot has been pulled from Women's

> hour as she's 'sick'.

I voted for her to be on the new ?20 note (as a wind up)

Maybe it should be a ?19 note :)

Can we be sure that the police are *always* being deployed sensibly? I sometimes see what I think is an OTT response to relatively small incidents (4 vehicles, eight officers for an RTA, officers patrolling in threes) and wonder why this is the case. Would a national police force make better sense, or the amalgamation of certain forces to save resources? And, before I get shouted down, I acknowledge that all the services do very good jobs and should be applauded for their efforts and that I know people working in different police forces.)