Research on Supportive Adults

eryan

Hi everyone,

I'm a postgrad student at LSBU (living in ED) researching the role of non-parental supportive adults in the lives of young men who have experienced mental distress.

After having worked as a youth worker for years I got accustomed to hearing about how "one good adult" could be beneficial in the lives of young people but without ever knowing exactly what that meant to the young people or how to go about being that "one good adult". Previous research has shown that for young people a relationship with a trusted adult (coach, uncle, neighbour, cousin, etc) is beneficial to the young person in so many areas of their lives. I want to talk to people who have had a non-parental supportive adult in their lives and who want to share this experience in terms of their mental health. I'm particularly looking for men (aged 18+) as their help-seeking patterns and relationship with services differ to that of women.

If anyone would be willing to share their experiences or have any ideas about how to find people who would please let me know. PM me or email [email protected]

Thanks!