Rant about daughter

AbleM84

She left her PE kit on the 185 last week. Didn't tell me until Monday evening, so of course I didn't have time to go out and get her a new one before her next PE lesson yesterday. So she ended up having to do it in her knickers.

Arrrghhhhh!

So, tell me, its her fault for leaving it on the bus, and her fault for not telling me about it until its too late. But I didn't think these days knickers was the done thing for forgoton kit?

Either you haven't laid down the ground rules so she didn't know, or you are such a dictator that she was too frightened to tell you. It's all your fault (so get used to it) and it will continue to be your fault through the teenage years. She may thank you one day.

Think back to your own childhood. I grew up in a fairly traditional family but I was pretty dozy and still lose things 40 years later!

Fishing for a comeback...? I guess, trolling? Maybe Seabag was referring to the fact that you joined to post a rant. But tbh, this forum was practically built on gold star rants, and I'd give yours pretty fair marks. :-) If you weren't fishing, then perhaps suggest to Seabag to, um, get back in the sea? :-D

My daughter is only 7, but she drives me %?#@!$~ nuts. She's nothing like me... oh dear, now I know how my mother felt. >>hangs head>groan<<

brezzo Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> i think you need to talk to her school - very

> inappropriate.

>

> I've been in education for 20+ years and never

> heard of a school that did not have spare kit

I don't think it's as common as it used to be. I was in school about 20 years ago and it happened there, I didn't think it would still happen these days!

malumbu Wrote:

> Either you haven't laid down the ground rules so

> she didn't know, or you are such a dictator that

> she was too frightened to tell you. It's all your

> fault (so get used to it) and it will continue to

> be your fault through the teenage years. She may

> thank you one day.

>

> Think back to your own childhood. I grew up in a

> fairly traditional family but I was pretty dozy

> and still lose things 40 years later!

Lol! Yes, I think may be you are right!

Jules-and-Boo Wrote:

old enough to travel on bus = too old to do PE in her underwear.

Have you seriously NEVER lost anything?

Do you think I should say anything to the school, or just leave it?

Sorry, I thought you'd made her, not that it was the school's doing!

Changes things a little bit. It may be 'normal' at the school and the kids wouldn't think anything of it.

With my girls, there was a certain point they would have refused.

Ask your daughter how she felt about it and act accordingly.

If she wasn't bothered maybe ask them about it so they know you don't approve, or is she was upset, tell them.

Jules-and-Boo Wrote:

> Sorry, I thought you'd made her, not that it was

> the school's doing!

>

> Changes things a little bit. It may be 'normal' at

> the school and the kids wouldn't think anything of

> it.

>

> With my girls, there was a certain point they

> would have refused.

>

> Ask your daughter how she felt about it and act

> accordingly.

>

> If she wasn't bothered maybe ask them about it so

> they know you don't approve, or is she was upset,

> tell them.

I know its not unusual for the boys to do it in their boxers if they don't have their kit, but I don't think its common for the girls. But then doing it in boxers isn't quite the same as knickers!

She was embarrassed, but just got on with it. I don't think she's head-strong enough to stand up to authority like your girls! At what point do you think your girls would have refused?

I've just asked them. The eldest said it never happened in junior school, but she might have if she was asked to in Y3 but definately not in Y5 or Y6. The youngest said she would never have.

It's a bit borderline humiliation.

You don't say how old your daughter is - and it doesn't matter. If she's was uncomfortable, write to the school and say you're not happy with their approach.

I'm probably not the best example to use as I'm fiercely protective of both my girls, and they're younger than yours, and I'm aware I'm a bit too 'classic dad' at times, but...at the age of 14? No, sorry. Frankly not acceptable at any age, but once you hit adolescence? It sounds like they're at a mixed school, and if this happened to one of my girls the headteacher would be explaining themselves to me the next morning.

I admire your calmness, I could probably learn a thing or two from you.