Baking question

Robert Poste's Child

I've doubled the basic 4x4 sponge recipe to use an 8in/20cm tin instead of 7in, plus I'm only using one tin (because that's all I've got) and planning to split the sponge later.

Does anyone know how much longer you need to allow in the oven (5-10 mins?) and if you need to lower the temperature? Having googled I'm none the wiser but I bet someone here will know.

Thanks in advance. Life would be so much easier if I could follow a recipe or any other set of instructions without having to change it.

womanofdulwich Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> No .please don't leave it to stand.the air will go

> out of it. Make it in 2 batches. (But happy to be

> proven wrong).

Can one just not beat some air into the second batch? I've never noticed a difference between the two - maybe both my halves were flat!

How did it go RPC?

Actually glad you didn't listen to me, curious I looked it up and yes, as WoD says, sponge batter relies on the foaminess of the eggs which quickly decays. Thing is I use various things to make an egg replacer so the batter relies more on being heavily whisked just before being poured, so it can stand to be stood.

How did it go RPC - if you havnt achieved it yet, using just one tin and all the mixture, put tin foil over the top, if you have to leave it in oven for longer, so as nit to burn the top. And take tin foil off for the last 10 mins.

Hope it turns/turned out ok.

All the best.

• 4 weeks later...

Hiya ..i am doing a afternoon tea at home soon.proceeds going to grenfell.my baking skills are variable ,think I will be ok with the scones and lemon drizzle loaf..although my last one came out flat but tasty ,think I will change from 85g to 125g ingredients,I have a 9inch cake tins, was thinking to do a chocolate cake or something with strawberries.. I want to put a nice spread on for my friends within my baking skills and a budget..

Any advice...?

Think I need to adapt a recipe for 9inch tins.