Forum Sponsors

http://www.ellyallen.com/
xxxx
Glazer Delmar

https://m.facebook.com/cariadpets/photos

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Would you recommend your builder, plumber, electrician or carpenter?
Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5556575859606162636465Next
Current Page: 62 of 65
messageRe: Brexit View
Posted by rendelharris November 26, 10:03AM

Someone's really gone the extra mile on Peckham High Street.
https://i.imgur.com/L29al1g.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was november 26, 10:04am by rendelharris.

Posted by JohnL November 26, 10:47AM

May challenges and Corbyn agrees to live TV debate

[www.independent.co.uk]

Shes also wandering around the houses of parliament giving away things if anybody votes for her (if any MPs are present)

Posted by JohnL November 26, 10:55AM

Has anybody got any spare liquefied chlorine, sodium silicofluoride, aluminium sulphate, fluorosilicic acid and calcium hydroxide.

If so Gove wants a word.

[www.standard.co.uk]

Posted by malumbu November 26, 01:01PM

Flip me, our future depends on a head to head between TM and JC - can this get any more depressing?

Posted by diable rouge November 26, 02:00PM

Interesting that May's laid down the challenge to Corbyn. At the election she was the one running scared from leaders' debates. And why have such a public debate, the public aren't voting on her deal, MPs are.
I think she would win a debate with Corbyn simply because he hasn't got a proposal for a Brexit deal to speak of that isn't more cakeism. But even if he had, why should there be a debate on it, Parliament is voting on May's deal, not May's versus Corbyn's. Instead she should be debating with someone proposing No Deal, as that currently is the only legal alternative to May's deal. For anything else to happen, e.g an alternative deal or People's Vote, Article 50 needs to be extended with the EU's permission to allow for the time needed to carry out such an alternative strategy...

Posted by JohnL November 26, 03:45PM

Deja Vue

But now the SNP, the Lib Dems, the Green Party and Plaid Cymru say they should also be invited to discuss the withdrawal agreement.

Posted by diable rouge November 26, 04:22PM

I've found the obvious candidate to debate for No Deal, Corbybabes bro...smiling smiley
[twitter.com]

Posted by diable rouge November 26, 04:35PM

He's not giving up...smiling smiley

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ds7gWlkWsAE87lq.jpg:small

Posted by JohnL November 26, 04:47PM

diable rouge Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've found the obvious candidate to debate for No
> Deal, Corbybabes bro...smiling smiley
> [twitter.com]
> 440802816

Corbyn's brother is coming to take my flag smiling smiley - I'm buying another if he does come to Peckham to take it and it'll be twice as big.

Posted by diable rouge November 26, 04:53PM

It's the way he refers to the EU as a 4th Reich and then proceeds on full-authoritarian let's round 'em all up mode. Lack of self-awareness must run in the family...

Posted by DovertheRoad November 26, 05:07PM

Question ..is the current deal on the table a soft or hard Brexit? Or a "fudge deal" ?

Posted by JohnL November 26, 05:32PM

Day 1 of Theresa Mays mission impossible.

@peston

This is becoming cruel. Every part of the commons dumping manure on @theresa_may for allegedly driving wedge between NI and GB, for locking UK into customs union, for NOT locking UK into customs union, for being a "blind brexit", for being too transparently a surrender to EU etc.

Posted by diable rouge November 26, 05:38PM

DovertheRoad Wrote:
> Question ..is the current deal on the table a soft
> or hard Brexit? Or a "fudge deal" ?

Hard, as it takes us out of the Single Market. It's also harder than the so called Chequers deal as that promised frictionless trade which May's deal doesn't. There's lots of fudge too.
The 'Plan B' Norway option which is being talked about as an alternative should May's deal collapse, would keep us in the SM and is considered soft. IMO the Norway option best reflects the closeness of the referendum and I'm sure a lot of Remainers would've accepted that, but May egged on by the Brextremists got greedy...

Posted by JohnL November 26, 05:45PM

diable rouge Wrote:
> Hard, as it takes us out of the Single Market.
> It's also harder than the so called Chequers deal
> as that promised frictionless trade which May's
> deal doesn't. There's lots of fudge too.
> The 'Plan B' Norway option which is being talked
> about as an alternative should May's deal
> collapse, would keep us in the SM and is
> considered soft. IMO the Norway option best
> reflects the closeness of the referendum and I'm
> sure a lot of Remainers would've accepted that,
> but May egged on by the Brextremists got greedy...

Did read today on Nick boles twitter that the EFTA/EEA option could mean Norway blocking us from joining in a temporary capacity and therefore we'd need to sign up permanently.

[twitter.com]

Posted by diable rouge November 26, 06:11PM

Yep, he originally called in 'Norway for now' which didn't go down well...

Posted by diable rouge November 26, 06:27PM

And here's the view from the nation's living rooms...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ds8B1kkW0AAJPq5.jpg:small

BBC, you gonna have to build an even taller tower smiling smiley

Posted by zerkalo November 26, 09:56PM

As an EU citizen who has been living and contributing in the UK for years, I feel very offended by the PMs 'queue jumping' comments. Having to apply to stay in our homes is bad enough, but language like this only adds insult to injury. Her apology is frankly too little too late.

Posted by JohnL November 27, 10:01AM

According to Joanna Cherry QC MP (@joannacherry) the UK government at the European Court (#cjeu) has refused to put forward reasons why Article 50 cannot be revoked - leaving the question of whether it can be revoked unilaterally or unanimously (EU27). Of course the court can still decide it can't be revoked - but no arguments put forward.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was november 27, 10:04am by JohnL.

Posted by stepdown November 27, 12:44PM

Extra c needed for @joannaccherry, another thread on the hearing here:

[twitter.com]

Posted by diable rouge November 27, 01:22PM

zerkalo Wrote:
> As an EU citizen who has been living and
> contributing in the UK for years, I feel very
> offended by the PMs 'queue jumping' comments.
> Having to apply to stay in our homes is bad
> enough, but language like this only adds insult to
> injury. Her apology is frankly too little too
> late.

She didn't actually apologise, merely stated that she shouldn't have used that term. Not only did she insult EU citizens who legitimately exercised their right to live and work in the UK, but also the million+ UK citizens doing likewise in the EU. She trumpets ending Freedom of Movement as some kind of victory, yet by doing that she will take away the right of UK citizens to freely travel, work, study and live/retire in the EU. EU citizens will still be able to freely travel to 26 other countries, whereas for UK citizens it will be zilch. Some victory.

Whenever I feel a modicum of sympathy for her current predicament I quickly remind myself that when it comes to immigration, May has always had a nasty streak. She was the architect of the 'hostile environment' at the Home Office, which led to the 'Go Home' advertising vans and appalling treatment of the Windrush generation. She's used Brexit to further her anti-immigration MO, a deal ending free movement with Brexit-lite attached as an addendum.

And now she wants to reconcile with remainers, the same remainers she put down as 'citizens of nowhere'. Get. To. Fook..

Posted by KidKruger November 27, 01:51PM

"..by doing that she will take away the right of UK citizens to freely travel, work, study and live/retire in the EU."

Does this seriously mean that the 1000s of UK retirees out in Spain and elsewhere in the EU will lose the right to be there (and as a result will have to go somewhere else) ? Or does it mean they'll be OK, but new retirees from UK can't join them ?

Posted by robbin November 27, 02:25PM

The latter, obviously.

Posted by diable rouge November 27, 02:28PM

It effects new retirees, and takes effect from the end of the transition period. But should we crash out with 'no deal' then existing retirees instantly lose their rights. IMO their rights should've been ring-fenced in the deal to protect them from such an awful scenario.
If an existing retiree living in Portugal wanted to move to Spain after transition, say for better healthcare reasons, they wouldn't be able to do so freely. In effect they could be stuck in Spain or would have to come back to the UK.
Most of this was agreed back in March and hasn't moved on much since. Lots of uncertainties, and people are understandably concerned...[britishineurope.org]

Posted by JohnL November 27, 03:26PM

KidKruger Wrote:
> "..by doing that she will take away the right of
> UK citizens to freely travel, work, study and
> live/retire in the EU."
>
> Does this seriously mean that the 1000s of UK
> retirees out in Spain and elsewhere in the EU will
> lose the right to be there (and as a result will
> have to go somewhere else) ? Or does it mean
> they'll be OK, but new retirees from UK can't join
> them ?

There were questions whether they'll be able to collect UK pensions if they're in Spain - not sure if that's solved.

Posted by JohnL November 27, 03:32PM

stepdown Wrote:
> Extra c needed for @joannaccherry, another thread
> on the hearing here:
>
> [twitter.com]
> 4639360

Thanks smiling smiley

My take on that thread is that the court will rule A50 is revocable but all or some (I think some) of the EU members need to agree.

Posted by Alan Medic November 29, 01:10PM

A May v Corbyn TV debate. What the hell is the point? They both want to leave the EU. Neither of them is capable of an original thought. What a waste of time. And can anyone vote on what they hear? No. Only MP's.

Posted by Angelina November 29, 01:32PM

What on Earth makes you think May wants to leave the EU?

Posted by uncleglen November 29, 02:02PM

May came out as a Remainer because she wanted to keep her job under Cameron when it looked like the vote would be Remain. She is trying to keep in with both sides and as Mrs T said if you stand in the middle of the road you get hit by traffic from both sides...unfortunately Mrs May is standing in the middle of a T junction....with the EU bureaucrats making up the third onslaught!

Posted by Angelina November 29, 02:07PM

pretty much sums it up. I think she's pretending to Leave but is not driven to.

Posted by JohnL November 29, 03:35PM

Angelina Wrote:
> pretty much sums it up. I think she's pretending
> to Leave but is not driven to.

Depends what you call leave - you may call her deal not leave - but I don's see it as remain. Remain for me is UK as a member of the Council of Ministers and having MEPs in the European Parliament.

That means her deal is Limbo

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5556575859606162636465Next
Current Page: 62 of 65

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum