Honor Oak Park

yeknomyeknom

Nah, there's not a lot at all I'm afraid! The best options are Mamma Dough pizza restaurant which is nice. Also Babur is a well known, upmarket Indian restaurant. There's Donde which is a pretty lame tapas bar. The Chandos pub was renovated a few months ago (was a bog standard, old fashioned boozer) into some generic pub that also does pizza. The Honor Oak pub is also generic and food is lame. Recently the caf? called Hopscotch has re-opened as Two Spoons and is quite nice.

As for shops.....even less! there's a little gift shop and a bicycle shop.....and a chip shop. Oh and a small deli.

Anyway, the good news is that the transport connections are fabulous with loads of trains (when they run) and various buses. Also lots of nice green trees (go a walk up One Tree Hill).

Informative. Thank you.

binkylilyput Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Nah, there's not a lot at all I'm afraid! The best

> options are Mamma Dough pizza restaurant which is

> nice. Also Babur is a well known, upmarket Indian

> restaurant. There's Donde which is a pretty lame

> tapas bar. The Chandos pub was renovated a few

> months ago (was a bog standard, old fashioned

> boozer) into some generic pub that also does

> pizza. The Honor Oak pub is also generic and food

> is lame. Recently the caf? called Hopscotch has

> re-opened as Two Spoons and is quite nice.

>

> As for shops.....even less! there's a little gift

> shop and a bicycle shop.....and a chip shop. Oh

> and a small deli.

>

> Anyway, the good news is that the transport

> connections are fabulous with loads of trains

> (when they run) and various buses. Also lots of

> nice green trees (go a walk up One Tree Hill).

Don't listen to this lot. HOP has gone through a transformation in the last 5 years, a sort of mini Lordship Lane.

If you go slightly further then you have one of the best restaurants in London, the Querce http://lequerce.co.uk/

Lovely walk over Blythe Hill to London's best pub http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/29/2991/Blythe_Hill_Tavern/Forest_Hill

You should also try the Blythe Hill festival on 1 July

If you want something more pretentious then the Chandos will probably suit you fine.

Less pretentious hunt out the General Napier, a traditional back street boozer. I'm sure that they will welcome you (it needs a few punters).

And one of the best curry houses in the country albeit you pay for it http://www.babur.info/ If you like formulaic Anglo Indian food then head back to the real LL!

Om the down side HOP appears to have been ethnically cleansed - I am being provocative but all the diversity seems to have gone out of the area in the last few years as it has become more fashionable.

Also it was a temperance area so no pubs near the station.

Also my favourite bike shop in London.

The Chandos was R as F, but not sure if I prefer it any more now.

Ye Olde Honor Oak used to be the St Germains, hard core Irish, curtain windows and Gaelic sport. It was an experience, probably not best repeated. I think it may appeal now to those with ankle biters.

Tapas place is decent, as with all Tapas you stil come out starving.

Ah now that is true malumbu, Blythe hill is a lovely walk, forgot that bit. But as I say HOP is green, leafy and has some attractive bits.

Can't say I agree about Le Querce. I've been there twice, both not great. The last time we didn't like the food so much we made an excuse and left without eating it (giggling down the road at the crapness of it- warm prosecco included!)- paid of course.

I forgot there are some nice little places around Brockley Rise- including Honor Oak Wellness Rooms. Also My Jammii cafe which helps young people at a disadvantage develop work skills.

So yep, I like HOP but don't expect to find loads. Another plus as it is walking distance to lots of other areas such as Peckham, Brockley, Lordship etc.