Gents wearing shorts at work?

malumbu

I've been known to from time to time but not sure whether the cut is right or I feel like a middle aged school boy. Then do you tuck your shirt in, wear a polo shirt or doss around an a t-shirt. Sandals? Oh it is so stressful. I like the look in Aus and NZ and other colonies where officials, cops etc can wear long shorts with long socks. Others in the UK seem to carry it off a lot better than me. I suppose there are two extremes, beach ware and taylored. I need to get into the latter.

Planned to post this earlier before the kids in Exeter had their protest https://www.theguardian.com/education/2017/jun/23/exeter-schools-uniform-resolve-melts-after-boys-skirt-protest

Always thought it unfair as ladies can wear a variety of office clothes where as the XY's normally have to wear trousers.

What do you reckon?

They look like kilts- a lot of schools have tartan skirts so I personally can't see a problem with boys opting to wear these. Bacon's College have a nice tartan

At my secondary school boys had to wear shorts summer and winter until they reached the third year

A gentleman should never wear shorts (well not if he's got legs like mine anyway, 'orrible sight). Though I must say seeing those lads in Exeter I thought why not...though I doubt my 36" waist would fit into Mrs.H's 24" waist skirts...I envy our Muslim brothers in this weather, those loose robes look just the ticket.

Shorts ought to be fine but not the current posher trend of tailored white shirts with pinkish red shorts and sockless deck shoes, that really is indefensible.

Shorts are fine, but not beach shorts, board shorts, too-short-running shorts. Never with sandals and socks (but that goes without saying) ...or flip flops.

I think our men need some support in this weather in terms of ditching the tie and being shown suitable alternatives.

Mine tried to wear a short and trousers out for Sunday lunch but we made him put his shorts on.

Oddly enough I don't like the current hipster fashion of showing 3 inches of ankle, and never liked those 3/4 shorts on blokes (seem OK on ladies, but not sure if this is an objective view).

Remember going to womad 24 years ago and the fashion was for lycra shorts - often bright and longer than my cycling shorts. Urgghhhh.

Making a related, but different comment to the op, so apols.....but as an Aussie, brits wearing summer gear is hilarious.

I've been here over 10 years and have and English mrs cat, so I love your ways. But when it's hot or I'm on holiday, I wear the same clothes I always wear...shorts and thongs(flip flops). But brits have holiday clothes....and seeing a couple from ed in short shorts and a trilby, gets me every time....

rahrahrah Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The question was specifically about gentlemen

> though. Does a gentlemen wear them?

As P.G.Wodehouse said, a gentleman is someone who can play the saxophone, but doesn't. Perhaps the same goes for the exhibition of the lower limbs in public?