Rude sellers EDF

karen s

Hi, I find it very rude when I reply to an advertiser on EDF to purchase whatever they are selling and not even get a reply. How long does it really take to show some manners?

How many other people having the same "No Response" issue?

Thanks for taking time to read this and maybe respond.

I assume that if the item has already been sold then it's just lack of time. I always try to respond to people when selling stuff but until I was doing a demanding job, looking after 2 kids and trying to keep on top of everything at home I don't think I really knew what busy was. It is rude not to reply but maybe they forget or maybe it doesn't make it to the top of the list of a million things they have to do.

I think everyone expects immediate responses (or a response at all), but that's not necessarily considering what may be going on with the seller. They could be busy, may be having a conplication with the sale with another buyer(s).

Example:

You're giving something away if 'buyer' will collect.

You get 11 responses.

You open the first response / PM at 0800 and tell them item is theirs if they want it.

By 1230 you've had no reply, do you chase the first person or move on to the 2nd ? You've given the first person 1/2 a day to come back, you're no further forward in offloading the item and have others who may want it.

You're not making any money from it, Si how much effort do you want / have time to invest ?

Do you reply to the other 10 now ?

If so, you're creating a rod for your own back.

If so what do you say ?

Do you now have to give them all a running commentary on status with item and where they each are on waiting list, every time another potential 'buyer' doesn't respond / backs out / vanishes ?

Potential buyers keep failing to turn up, you're doing so much messaging to so many people for an item you're just trying to give away, it's becoming a huge distraction from work / partner / kids / other obligations.

Then you start getting messages from potential buyers asking why you're so rude not replying to them.

You think why did you fecking bother in the first place.

Nope. I agree with Karen (space) s

Sheer bad manners.

On the other hand, if I had a quid for everyone who expressed interest in buying something but never turned up I'd be posting this now from some exotic destination.

On the surface it appears rude, but, having tried to sell / give stuff free sometimes, the time required chasing people, seeking clarification over intentions, following up those meant to turn up, etc. etc. can make it an onerous task.

I'm now pretty hard faced with it because I just don't have the time to create a new project for myself making sure no ones feelings are hurt. Obviously this is just where disposal of an item gets overly complicated, usually things go fine.

Anyway, everyone has their own experience selling.

As a rule of thumb whe buying, assume until you get a response you're not in the play for an item.

I understand your point kidkruger. Personally I contact those 'on the list' and explain someone has expressed interest but I'll get back to them if it's a no-show.

I've often found the first person arranges a time/day to collect. They then postpone and re-arrange (fair enough) they then postpone etc and to cut a long story short don't turn up after a couple of weeks of messing you around.

You then contact the next people on the list who've expressed interest and it's either so long ago they've changed their mind or they've spent their money on other edf purchases.

Like many people who use the For Sale facility I could name names (some are persistent offenders) but life's too short

Yes totally agree that selling stuff or giving stuff away is a total pain. The whole point is you want to get rid of it and yet the person who is the first to respond is quite often a time waster. Give it to the charity shop or friend instead. Saves a lot of time!