Redevelopment plans for Aylesham Centre - 20 storeys high!

Blah Blah

https://www.southwarknews.co.uk/news/developer-shows-off-shopping-complex-plans-ground-floor-aylesham-centre-housing-scheme/

Tiger Developments publish ground pans but not the residential plans because ?We know that the 20-storey aspect will take up a lot of attention, so we want to get the first step right.? This will be another one for Peckham Vision to challenge but why does any developer think 20 storey high buildings are ok in an area that has nothing that high? Are they not aware of previous successful local challenges to building height? Also the plans completely remove the car park around Morrisons. No point building all those lovely new shops if there is nowhere for people to park to shop in them. I wonder what Morrisons make of that too?

Underground parking would be good, as long as it is secure, and free to cosutomers for 2 hours as it is now.

It sounds a though the deveoper would like to build as many high rises as it can get away with (hence the coyness on plans). There is one tower block at that hieght nearby (council owned). We shall see what the full plans propose in due course I guess.

I also wonder if that number of new retail units can be filled. There is no doubt that Peckham could do with some additional stores though.

If high-rises are built to much better safety standards and have decent-sized rooms, then I think they should be built. We have little space and lots (too many?) of people. You do the maths, as that annoying phrase goes...

The trouble with shoe-horning in as many people in every square mile is that the infrastructure is always a couple of steps behind- schools, healthcare, transport, utilities...and then everybody's quality of life deteriorates...except the people who allow it to happen in the first place.

I remember looking at a planning application at the town hall a few years back- a regular sized house was going to be turned into 3 flats...the developer was from Kensington

it happened in Brixton where a number of schools (including Effra) were sold to developers and converted into flats. A resulting shortage of school places was not anticipated as there was a shortage of foresight.

It would be nice to think that lessons have been learned and developers have to contribute to the community in their application.

So, if there are too many people for a certain footprint, what do we do? Would J/B, Uncleglen B like to see inward migration to London - from the rest of the UK or elsewhere - curtailed? Or should taxes be raised to ensure everyone gets a place at the school or an appointment at the dentist or a library book they really want to use for study?

Jules-and-Boo Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> it happened in Brixton where a number of schools

> (including Effra) were sold to developers and

> converted into flats. A resulting shortage of

> school places was not anticipated as there was a

> shortage of foresight.

>

> It would be nice to think that lessons have been

> learned and developers have to contribute to the

> community in their application.

The old - no longer fit for purpose school, with a playground on the roof was replaced with a purpose built (and award winning) building next door. It also moved to be in an early years provider - changing the age range of children it supports.

Taking the coach through Stratford towards Stansted, it's a shame to see how much the high rise dominates at the expense of a cohesive, street level community. I also did abit of work for a charity in Canning Town which has been targeted by developers and high rise flats. The reality of the blocks is nothing like the happy community photos on the billboards. And in areas like Imperial Wharf, where clearly the majority of the people don't live there, the effect is abit like a ghost town - one small cafe and on the weekend, hardily a bustling place. If someone has an example of a high rise community that works and contributes to the area as opposed to making the community even more lonely I would geninuely would love to see it as I also think that there is a excellent point about the need for more housing (but should be affordable housing)

Paris can't compete for business space with the other great cities of Europe. I think it is lovely because of that - but the economy tends to trump architecture/beauty.

Worked on the Olympics and truly shocked what is happening to Stratford. There are still grotty areas that haven't improved. The High Street was OK but again doesn't seem to have done well out of 2012. I'm not a fan of shopping centres and wont eat or drink in the big chain places.

Elephant will go that way, but despite rapid gentrification Peckham retains independent shops, bars and restaurants. Hope it stays that way.