Pint of milk - Dulwich Village

DovertheRoad

Last week we took the kids to the Dog for Sunday lunch. On arrival we asked one of the restaurant staff if they had a menu. This caused confusion. "Oh I'm not sure...I'll need to go an ask the manager". Which was hilarious! And totally in keeping with the Dog right? Anyways, two average roasts, a shared kids meal and a ?59 bill later we left and as we headed back down Village way a flustered looking guy came and asked where he could get a pint of milk. Martins had closed. And I was left badly pointing the way to Sainsbo's at the Plough.

"You say East Dulwich...is that in the next suburb?"

"Um yes, kind of. Sorry".

How the F&&% can you not buy a pint of milk in Dulwich Village anymore. Or bread. Or any useful basics for that matter.

Can we start a campaign for a general store. Or do none of you care because you live up East with your fancy ice cream parlours and f$%^^% organic butcher / fish /muti-cheese shop combo. Like ?$%$% off! All we want down this end is basic shit. Not Italian tiles or a kids art clothes or oysters....

Thought: Perhaps the Estate could give some thought to the concept of useful amenity and subsidise a commercial rent accordingly ( reference: Howard De Walden estate, Marylebone).

But you've not been able to buy a pint of milk or a loaf of bread for years in Dulwich Village! If I had seen the guy in Village Way I would have pointed him in the way of the general store opposite Delawyck Crescent which sells bread/milk which has been open a few years. Then again, this shop is never open so where does one go for essentials if they can't get it here? The Plough is miles away!

Seabag Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Ocado?

>

> Be honest tho, other than the 'in the Village'

> brag and the house prices, it's a pony place to

> live.

I love living in the village (I rent). If I'm honest it's because I can't handle anything more urban these days. Age thing.

Don't know what Hammerman means as you could definitely buy bread, milk and other groceries at Shepherds until very recently and you can still pick them up at the two delis, and of course there's Gail's for nice bread; not sure if Au Ciel still sells some as well. The point is that it would be good to be able to buy essentials there. No doubt even the staff of the Dulwich Estate would like somewhere to buy lunch more cheaply.

What happened about the Sainsbury's local that was supposed to be moving in at the start of the year?

The village Sainsbury's idea was scraped for whatever reason. The planning info should still be available online. Waitrose are rumoured to be moving into the new development on the old car showroom site, but I'd take this with a pinch of salt. As always, this is what happens when high streets are allowed to be overrun with the same things. Let this be a warning to ED, you may laugh about the Londis situation, but give it a decade and you might struggle for the basics around here too.

Louisa.

singalto Wrote:

> How is The Plough miles away from DV

> .

It's clearly not far at all, 10 minute brisk walk from heart of the village? Maybe less if walking through the park. First world problems and all that. But it's also important to note that the village doesn't have a proper convenience store, and hasn't done for some decades now. I would imagine lack of footfall has something to do with it.

Louisa.

Is Dulwich Hamlet an identifiable place that's distinct from DV? Apart from the school and the football team, right now I can't think of anything you'd identify as 'hamlet'. Apparently the football club originally played in Woodwarde Road and then somewhere in the village so perhaps they're the same thing? Odd if so as the chapel must pre-date the football team by at least two centuries.

Robert Poste's Child Wrote:

> Seabag Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Mind you, don't you make milk RPC ?

>

> What are you implying, Seabag?

Ha ha...erm....Almond Milk?

Seabag Wrote:

> Robert Poste's Child Wrote:

> -----

> > Seabag Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > > Mind you, don't you make milk RPC ?

> >

> > What are you implying, Seabag?

>

> Ha ha...erm....Almond Milk?

Apology accepted.

Dulwich was a hamlet in the parish of Camberwell. Probably till the mid 19th C or thereabouts, which is where the name comes from.

I suppose you could argue that the name Dulwich Village comes from the street which runs through it?

St B is only a couple of hundred meters (if that) from there, not unusual for a church in a country village, that sort of distance?