Sunny Christmas/ New Year destinations

binkylilyput

I really fancy b*ggering off over the festive period to soak up some sun. I'm considering Thailand as it's accessible, easy and cheap (once you get there) but am looking for other suggestions and recommendations.

Where have people been for a sunny break over Christmas and/ or New Year? Was it worth it or better to wait a few weeks and go later in January when it is cheaper?

Any tips on where to look for good flight deals?

Short trips - Morocco including Essaouira on the coast Granada or Seville (nice in Xmas in Spain, much less commercial and things generally open apart from Xmas eve evening). All t-shirt weather in the day http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/africa/morocco/essaouira/articles/essaouira-morocco-holiday-what-to-see-and-do/

Long haul, India, Cuba, Sri Lanka, Viet Nam, but need a few weeks.

Check with Thompson or Jules Verne for specials and cheapies eg Goa

Great to be away from all the nonsense in the UK at Xmas

Try the Canaries for temps around 18C or more. It doesn't sound a lot but it's much warmer - and, importantly, lighter and drier - than the UK and only four hours away. Lanzarote is a good choice as there's less development and the attractions of the local boy made good, the artist Miro'. easyJet goes to Tel Aviv, so there's always that but it's likely to be more expensive.

Ooh I'd not considered USA....admittedly the politics put me off! But I'm also sunshine chasing so wondering what weather I can expect in Tucson or Miami?

Yes, Lanzarote is great for weather, have been a number of times but I guess I'm looking for potential sea swimming and 18C too cold for me to do that!

Thanks for the travel website tips malumbo, will take a look