Tipping

Sue

Every time I get my hair cut I get all embarrassed because I'm never sure whether to tip or not.

And when I do, I get all embarrassed about actually giving the tip, unless I can leave it at the desk.

And then I get embarrassed because I'm not sure whether I should also be tipping the person who washed my hair (where different).

I did ask my hairdresser about it once, and then we both got all embarrassed.

Just wondering what everybody else does. I stopped doing it, but now I'm embarrassed about that :))

KidKruger Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I usually chuck a ?5er and have done for eternity,

> but given how cool they make my hair look they

> thoroughly deserve it. And I think the hair

> washery staff get a cut anyways.

A FIVER ???????

Crikey.

I have a hairdresser who does a good job on my hair and I always tip her but only because she undercharges. She charges ?35 for a weave (which is seriously undercharging given how good she is) so I tip her ?5. I do not tip when I go to my other more expensive hairdresser.

Robert Poste's Child Wrote:

> You don't have to tip if it's the proprietor who

> does your hair.

>

> The best advice I've had on tipping generally is

> to tip if you plan to go back.

Yes it is the proprietor but on the other hand he charges the same as the others.

Yes I do go back because he is brilliant.

On the other hand although the prices are reasonable for the area, it's a lot to pay when you are on a pension.

Also on the other hand, he cuts my fringe free between my main cuts. I have tried to pay in the past, but he wouldn't let me.

I stopped tipping when the prices went up a year or so back but now I feel I'm being mean, though he knows I'm not rolling in money (can probably tell by my threadbare clothes, anyway :)) )

I assume tipping is an appreciation of good work. I've no qualms about not tipping for a bad haircut. In fact, they would know by then that I wasn't happy. But then, I wouldn't go back anyway.

My girls had their haircut and I went to tip when I paid by card but was told they can't take tips on card. I was mortified as had no cash.

I always give them a fiver or so. Keeps the good will running a bit smoothly if you're regulars.

Ac couple of pounds is also fine. It's what you feel able to give and is not at all a fixed amount.

Sue Wrote:

> Crikey, what pub is that?!?!?!

Not near here. Not sure it works like Prets free coffees though - you just wonder what their angle is :)

My best tipping was in Egypt - I tipped all the boys behind the bar (I never saw a girl working) every day and they always served me first and made little remarks about what other holidaymakers were mean. (they really really tried hard though)