Fines For Company Leafletting

Selclene Southeast

I have over the years, recieved hundreds, if not thousands of leaflets through my letter box advertising everything from fast food to fast selling, all which find thier way into the rubbish bin without reading.

On occasion, I do find leaflets strewn accross the street and they are an eyesore and a nuisance to say the least, and what bothers me is that we, 'the tax payers' fork out thousands in tax for keeping our streets clean.

I propose a 'Leaflet Fine' on leafletters - Period.

If you find a leaflet on the street, cluttering the communal area of a flat, or even unceremoniously dumped behind the bins (they usually are) the company whose leaflet it is, should be fined per leaflet.

I'm sure this would make a great proposal-any body else think this is a good idea.

www.selclenesoutheast.co.uk/

'It's not the companies fault'

Well, I suppose that is like saying that if you buy a car and it pollutes the enviroment because it was fitted with a bad catalytic converter it's your fault, where in fact it's the companies fault.

Companies need to take better responsibility with who they hire to deliver leaflets. It's much easier to ensure that the company pays for the clean up, at least they would be more responsible.

Hmmm... not a fair comparison because leaflets don't have aphysical functionality in the same way a car does.

I'm actually more interested in a ban on leafleting through my door at all, I don't want the trash, don't want folded-up brochures stuck in my letter box allowing the little heat I have in the hall to escape, don't want the things they're offering.

Sue Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Why should a company pay for the laziness of individuals?

> They've paid someone to do a job who hasn't done it.

I have some sympathy for fast food places who get blamed for litter in their area caused by customers, but if it has been caused by someone they have paid to do a job, then they are indeed responsible.

But, you would have to prove it was indeed an employee/contractor. If it was the householder that dropped it then it would not be their fault.

>Why sgould a company pay for the laziness of individuals?

Weell, my whole point is that the companies should be more responsible on who delivers, how and where they deliver. If they were fined then they would make damn sure those leaflets would only, end up in letter boxes and not in the streets.

I think it's a brilliant idea to fine offenders who don't care a tot about our streets and our enviroment. They should atleast pay some way to have it cleaned when it's thier rubbish advertising thier business in the streets!

uncleglen Wrote:

> Nigello Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Send the leaflets back to me the address of the

> > business: with no postage; individually.

>

> Yes- it's the only way.

How do you do that ?

Put leaflets in individual envelopes ?

Would cost a small fortune and a lot of effort.

Apart from Leaflets from local businesses

also...

Surge in junk mail delivered by postmen since Royal Mail sell-off: 50,000 more flyers put through letterboxes EVERY DAY

Almost 3.2billion items of 'unaddressed' junk mail were delivered last year

Figures do not even include addressed leaflets that were also posted

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2996331/Surge-junk-mail-delivered-postmen-Royal-Mail-sell-50-000-flyers-letterboxes-DAY.html#ixzz4sBALA9CM

DulwichFox

yeah those pesky unwanted pizza leaflets that keep on coming through the letter box, no I don't eat takeaway pizza ever, latest assault are tree surgeons pushing their leaflets through. I dread to think how much paper, ink and power is wasted producing this junk that literally go's in the bin as soon as it lands on the mat.

For several years I had a no junk mail sticker, which the PO used to provide, but it seems they realised that didn't fit with them being the main perpetrators and they stopped doing the stickers - in fact the postman kindly ripped mine off the door. As I do all the important stuff online or by email these days, that means most of what comes through the door is junk and the majority of that is enabled by the post office.

No, NO sympathy for the postman, I don't appreciate junk mail, does the PO not understand they are proliferating a mountain of waste paper that people do not read and it goes straight in the bin, that then gets collected by the recycling dustmen. Such a waste of everyone's time.

I keep all the 'Indian' restaurant Menus because on rare occasions I order a delivery.

They are put through the door every so often. (Menu or Price change.)

2 - 3 Pizza Menus come through the door almost every other day. They go straight in the bin..

People can always pick up a Menu from their favourite outlet if they have regular deliveries.

Foxy

> No, NO sympathy for the postman, I don't appreciate junk mail,

> does the PO not understand they are proliferating a mountain of waste paper

It's not the PO, it's Royal Mail. Has anyone told HMQ what's being done in her name?

Though apparently you are able to opt out: https://personal.help.royalmail.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/293/~/how-do-i-opt-out-of-receiving-any-leaflets-or-unaddressed-promotional-material/, on an all-or-none basis. Would there be anything important or interesting that you'd no longer get? Which stuff would you still get anyway, from private distributors?

I hope there was another way to stop companies littering our streets and wasting paper. We are talking about millions of tonnes of rubbish which cost millions to clean up overall and hardly any of the paper used is recycled or from sustainable practices.

I still think a 'leaflet tax' is the way forward- And for all your information we stopped leafletting years ago, untill last month when we thought that we would just give it a try for old clients and we posted 100 leaflets into previous clients homes offeing them deals.

Companies should pay for thier leaflets if they are found lying on the streets. It's almost as if they can get away with a minor form of fly tipping. Just because it does not create an eyesore, pile of rubbish does not make it acceptable.

It does not matter who dropped the leaflet, or who didn't post it- All that matters is that the company who bears the logo pays the fine-

thank you.

ianr Wrote:

> Though apparently you are able to opt out:

> https://personal.help.royalmail.com/app/answers/de

> tail/a_id/293/~/how-do-i-opt-out-of-receiving-any-

> leaflets-or-unaddressed-promotional-material/, on

> an all-or-none basis. Would there be anything

> important or interesting that you'd no longer get?

> Which stuff would you still get anyway, from

> private distributors?

They advised me on a couple of occasions that it would mean risking not receiving mailings from the council about benefits and the electoral role, which might leave you liable to a fine or losing your vote. Blackmail, really.

Selclene Southeast Wrote:

> I have over the years, recieved hundreds, if not

> thousands of leaflets through my letter box

> advertising everything from fast food to fast

> selling, all which find thier way into the rubbish

> bin without reading.

>

> On occasion, I do find leaflets strewn accross the

> street and they are an eyesore and a nuisance to

> say the least, and what bothers me is that we,

> 'the tax payers' fork out thousands in tax for

> keeping our streets clean.

>

> I propose a 'Leaflet Fine' on leafletters -

> Period.

>

> If you find a leaflet on the street, cluttering

> the communal area of a flat, or even

> unceremoniously dumped behind the bins (they

> usually are) the company whose leaflet it is,

> should be fined per leaflet.

>

> I'm sure this would make a great proposal-any body

> else think this is a good idea.

>

>

> www.selclenesoutheast.co.uk/

Maybe make the first move and stop leafleting yourself?

Posted by Selclene Southeast July 10, 11:53AM

I am currently looking for a reliable leaflet deliver person to deliver leaflets around the East Dulwich, West Dulwich and Camberwell areas- Good rates of pay- Please call me on 020 8698 6953 or email me at [email protected] for a chat.

• 2 weeks later...

Possibly from Viz's Top Tips...

Business owners - raise the profile of your business in the local community by creating an account on your local forum with the name of your business and then use it to berate and abuse your potential customers.

- Gerald Ratner