Compensation for a Poor Tiling Job in Kitchen?

CR101

4 Years ago we had the kitchen extended and due to substandard ground work (suspended floor, poor tiling, incorrect materials used), we have had to have our kitchen floor completely taken out and done a fresh.

We have a kitchen of around 40sqm2 surface space.

The new floor consists of concrete, insulation blocks, wet underfloor pipes, screed and our new rectified porceline tiles (tiles alone cost us ?1500).

The company we appointed for the renovaton of our kitchen along with the kitchen floor this time around were aware of our previous issues and therefore gave us a lot of reassurances/gurantees and proimised they would get this right for us.

When the screed finally went down, ready for the tiling, it was obvious the floor was not level.

The contract we had mentioned we should of had a decoupling membrane put down prior to tiling.

When the tiler started the job, no membrane was put down initally and the builders on the previous day forgot to trun off the underfloor heating, so the floor was very hot when he laid 15 tiles down (these tiles were lifted and relaid the next day).

That evening we inspected the work and sraight away identified -

1. The floor was uneven

2. The tiles were unevenly laid (lips and grout lines)

3. The tiles had hollow sounds in them ( as he was not back buttering them)

4. The height of the floor was higher then our passage and therefore they needed to use a threshhold big enough and at an angle to get away with the small step into the kitchen (I specifically asked for no steps into our ktichen).

The tiler/PM was notified about the issues and while they put a membrane down and some SLC, the completed tiled floor still has the same issues.

Most of the floor runs at a 3mm-4mm gradiant...

There are also many chips on the tiles (16 tiles) as when he kicked off the leveling clips, they created small chips in the tiles...

Due to these issues, initally the PM wanted to part ways without acknowldging the issues and he thought we was simply making a meal of things.

Since he has now visited the site, he has seen the issues and has sent us an email to compensate us ?800 plus removing/replacing the tiles that have noticeable uneven lippage and grout lines (Is this posisble without damaging other tiles and the membrane?).

Do you all think this a good form of compensation?

We would request the whole floor gets redone but unfortunately our new kitchen is due to be fitted in by the kitchen company next week and we cannot have any more delays...

I don't have any suggestions re compensation, but I just wanted to say how much I feel for you.

I have had so much substandard work done by "builders" etc in my house, and it is absolutely soul-destroying when it is your home and you know exactly how things should be, not to mention the stress and financial cost involved.

Politely but firmly request your full compensation.

If this doesn't work then say that you will take action through the small claims court.

Then it gets more painful as even if you get judgement enforcing can be a pain in the neck. You can sell the debt to an enforcement company, walk away and let them do the hard man stuff.

Speak to trading standards who may help.

Politely but firmly request your full compensation.

If this doesn't work then say that you will take action through the small claims court.

Then it gets more painful as even if you get judgement enforcing can be a pain in the neck. You can sell the debt to an enforcement company, walk away and let them do the hard man stuff.

Speak to trading standards who may help.