Flu (and the jab)

Nigello

Thanks, reminded me I need to arrange to get mine.

I'm also in the at-risk group.

Just arranged to get mine at a walk-in clinic at my GP on Monday (NHS).

Slightly worried as one year I had a really really bad reaction to it and was off work for ages practically unable to move out of bed, however I think it's possible I was already going down with flu when I had the jab, and that possibly the jab made it worse.

I'm in an at risk group and have already booked a flu jab at my doctors for free. When I was in Lloyds the other day, they promoted their flu jabs but the charge is ?10. I asked if I would get it free if I qualified to get it free at my GPs and the assistant didn't know. Actually, ?10 is quite a good deal.

nxjen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'm in an at risk group and have already booked a

> flu jab at my doctors for free. When I was in

> Lloyds the other day, they promoted their flu jabs

> but the charge is ?10. I asked if I would get it

> free if I qualified to get it free at my GPs and

> the assistant didn't know. Actually, ?10 is quite

> a good deal.

I had mine done at my local chemist (not ED). They know my regular medication, so know I qualify for a free shot. Offered to me with no doctor involved at all.

lavender27 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Is the jab a "one size fits all" . Does anyone

> know much about the injection ie quantity, how

> it's made, what's in it etc etc etc.,

No questions were asked before he selected the syringe, so I suspect it is the same jab for everyone.

It is important to understand that a bad cold or chest infection, is not the flu and a flu jab won't prevent catching those. Influenza is a different kind of virus and anyone who is at risk should have the vaccine. It is the progression to pnuemonia that makes it fatal in some people, hence why anyone over 65 and those with respiratory conditions are offered the vaccine. We've not seen a global pandemic for a long time, and vaccinations are part of preventing that too. There are a lot of things we can do though to make sure our immune systems are as strong as they can be as well. Diet is very important - don't allow yourself to get run down and where possible, avoid people who already have colds. The reason why these viruses are more prolific in winter is because they live longer in cold temperatures. A flu virus remains infectious for around one week at human body temperature, but can last for thirty day at zero degrees, and longer at lower temperatures than that. Most disinfectants will kill viruses on hard surfaces.

Thanks for this thread btw, it made me go get mine today. The NHS has been texting me, but been so busy this past couple of weeks.

However, I went to Boots and asked for it, happy to pay. The pharmacist asked if I was on the NHS at risk list, then gave it to me for free.

They then inform your doctor.