Rogue landlord next door - recommendations for action we can take?

megmj

We have a terrible, corrupt landlord owning next door, who keeps the house in disrepair. I have already spoken to the council about it and they have asked him to make changes to the house to make it safer for the tenants (please know that there is a family living there where they definitely have rats!).

I just wonder if there is anything else I can do to make sure he is held to account? I know that he has other properties in Lewisham and other areas so probably keeps them in the same state. Can i contact local papers or anyone else?

Thanks

I was at the mercy of a rogue landlord years ago when my kids were very young. He had bought the house at auction with us as sitting tenants (and therefore bought it cheaper than empty properties) and made it clear that he was NOT going to do any repairs and just kept saying he was going to increase the rent. I think this is a countrywide problem and the councils need to crack down severely.

Tried posting but wont go up, so here is the first part (the amusing line, which will be followed by a serious post, then a light hearted end. Spoiler alert.

I read this as Pogue not rogue. Not sure if i would want Shane MacGowan living next door, although the craic would be good. Could be worse, Keith from Prodigy.

Ah good, thought Pogue may be banned as it is a rude word in Gaelic.

Part 2. If unhygienic then expect that this is a matter for Environmental Health. If unsafe eg no gas safety cert then Env Health and possible the Old Bill.

Hope Ratty helps, noting that ratty is a vernacular for an Environmental Health Officer.