Calling all lawyers.....

I hammer

I want to know if a friend of mine is obliged to pay his ex any money?

Simply put, as boyfriend and girlfriend, many years ago they had childen...approx now 17 and 15 yrs old.

The ex girfriend has subsequently remarried,and been looking after children. She's been married approx 7 yrs. Her husband has always been in employment.

Is my friend obliged to pay any money to his ex girfriend? (For whatever reason).

child support payments (assuming the biological father CAN pay) stop when a child reaches 16 or 20 if they are in full-time education. A friend of mine was in this exact position except has been married for 9 years. The father of the child paid every month until she reached 20 (as she was at uni) and then he stopped paying.

I hammer Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> He has always made an unofficial payment to his ex.

> I thought as she has married he's not forced to pay anything.

If he hadn't had kids, then probably. But if you have kids, you should be paying for their upbringing.

She could marry a multi-billionaire and that still wouldn't (or shouldn't) change.

Whether his ex has married or not is irrelevant, that may affect financial settlement but not financial contributions to the upbringing of the children.

The fact is, if the CSA have not been involved it's up to the two parents to sort it, if CSA get involved they'll have set a % based on the no. of children which should be paid (less their 'fee') and will enforce if necessary.

I don't get the raising of the fact that the woman has married a different guy - there seems to be a suggestion that this releases the father from responsibility to contribute as a parent - which on any level is so obviously wrong.

KidKruger Wrote:

> I don't get the raising of the fact that the woman

> has married a different guy - there seems to be a

> suggestion that this releases the father from

> responsibility to contribute as a parent - which

> on any level is so obviously wrong.

Yeh I don't get it either.

The father surely has a moral, if not legal, responsibility to help financially support his children?

Should this thread be entitled "how can my mate avoid contributing financially towards the upbringing of his own children" ?

You don't need to call a lawyer to understand that if you have a kid then you pay for the kid, surely ?!

Next thread: If I have a child do I have to feed it or clothe it ?

I hammer Wrote:

> I want to know if a friend of mine is obliged to

> pay his ex any money?

Why?

> He has always made an unofficial payment to his ex.

> I thought as she has married he's not forced to pay anything.

What does he think?