When do you switch on your central heating on again for the Winter

mary123

My Heating is on all year round.. The radio controller has 6 settings all set to 19 deg C

so during the summer it never kicks in. I do test it throughout the year and sometimes I need to

fire it up to dry washing.

During the winter I set it to kick in if the room drops below 21 Deg C

I am at home all day so need the heat but turn it down if I go out.

I have a 'A' Rated Vaillant boiler which is very good. Very quiet which is serviced yearly.

DulwichFox

FYI, a gas engineer told me that it is best to keep all rads (if they have thermostats) to about 3-4 rather than whacked right up to 6. I find that my thermostat on the wall of the coolish hall, set at 19C, makes all rooms pleasantly warm. If it is really cold I leave the heating on at about 15C all day and it stays warm.

(PS I switched to Bulb. If you want to join and get ?50 of credit (which, if you ask them, they will put into your debit card account) drop me a line with an email address.)

Autumn in London seems to be getting milder. Before I moved to London in the mid-90's, I spent a weekend here in mid-Oct. It snowed with hard frosts overnight. When I first moved here I found I could avoid having the heating on until Oct, nowadays I find it's possible to go to Nov if we don't get a cold snap. It's been really mild so far this Autumn, this weekend the temp is due to be in the high teens. I have the windows open too!..:)

Mine's been on for a few weeks now. We have a a Hive system, so the thermostat is pretty good.

And though Hive is/was really good, it is such a shame the have 'upgraded' the web system that controls it such that is it virtually unusable now. What used to take a few seconds to change now takes ages whilst controls expand on contract on the screen. Apparently they've received loads of complaints about it.

I have a heated throw which I sit under when on my sofa. It heats me up without having to heat the whole room. It's brilliant.

I wear a woolly hat around the house and have two duvets on the bed.

Having said all that, I have turned the heating on twice since the Summer - and the second time was about ten minutes ago. I move the thermostat from room to room as I need to, though it's usually in my living room, and it is presently in the room I'm using as an office. Once that has reached a comfortable temperature I'll turn the thermostat down again.

I do have thermostatic valves on all the rads, though. I don't like my bedroom to be too hot.

Though in any case the timer on the thermostat is set so that the heating isn't on at night.

It does sometimes seem like we've forgotten that cold is nature's way of telling you to put more clothes on. The shops don't help as there's not much decent woollen clothing for women on the high street these days.

If you want some nice wool socks I can recommend the sock class at Sharp Works in Herne Hill. They make good Christmas presents too.

For past few nights even with extra jumper I felt cold and put the heating on for a couple of hours. We never put the heating on in the bedroom as neither of us like a warm bedroom. Difficult to get washing dry this weather so helps having short bursts of heat. To take the chill off in the lounge - I sometimes put the fan heater on for half an hour.

mancity68 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Probably not until December but we do run

> dehumidifier from now onwards which helps keep the

> house from feeling damp which makes a massive

> difference

Can I ask which dehumidifier you have, mancity68? Could be what I need but I'm not sure about running costs and also noise, as they're not all silent it seems.

Robert Poste's Child Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Can I ask which dehumidifier you have, mancity68?

> Could be what I need but I'm not sure about

> running costs and also noise, as they're not all

> silent it seems.

I have my CH on intermittently now - high ceilings and large rooms are difficult to keep warm in this odd weather and the damp/cold goes straight into my dodgy knees like needles.

RPC - I have two DeLonghi Tasciugo Ariadry Multi dehumidifiers (one for sitting room and one for bedroom - heavy to move for me). They are good workers and not too noisy (depending on which setting you have them on). My place has a problem with damp/humidity and I use them when I get into 60-65% humidity plus to bring it down into the 50%s. I monitor the humidity levels with a temperature & humidity monitor as there is a problem here.

Don't, when I first moved in last May the sitting room was over 70%! It took a few days worth of continuous use of the dehumidifier to bring it down. It should really be in the 40s-early 50s, but it is rare for my flat to hit the 40s. I cope with the 50s and put the dehumidifiers on when over 60%.