Police will not investigate Shop lifting and Burglaries

DulwichFox

The Metropolitan Police have announced that they will not be investigating cases of

Shop lifting and Burglaries.

It will be a field day for criminals.

Implications for shop and home owners.

Insurance cover.

CCTV pointless. no one is going to look at it..

People taking the law into their own hands.. Repercussions

Discuss.

DulwichFox

I think we've all known this has been going on for years, despite their use of the future tense. In my view it has some bearing on the decision to close so many smaller police stations and (whatever they might say to the contrary) reduce the visible presence on the street. Why would you need either of those if you're not interested in dealing with smaller crimes?

I don't know about anyone else but in order to get a reasonable quote for household contents we have to comply with stringent standards of locks on windows and doors.

As for shop lifting- if the store security catches people surely the cops will come and arrest them or they can be taken to the police....but they just will not be investigating shoplifting.

Again the burden falls upon the public and shop owners to protect their possessions and goods...makes sense to me.

I think I read somewhere that the vast majority of these property theft crimes are carried out by junkies....so maybe the cops are going after them.

Robert Poste's Child Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I think we've all known this has been going on for years, despite their use of the future tense.

At least in the case of shoplifting, yes it has. Under a certain amount, they just don't bother.

When I reported my glasses being stolen in the library a few weeks ago, almost (I thought) catching the person in the act, I wrote on the form that I realised it was a petty crime but as the library is a hot spot for that kind of thing and has CCTV I felt it should be on their radar. Also, it may be a petty crime but it's still someone sticking their hand in your pocket to the tune of a couple of hundred quid.

Anyway, since the automatic response from the online system, not a peep. Not even a courtesy message.

JohnL Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Under 50 pounds or victim won't support

> prosecution. Must be an opportunity for G4S or

> someone to privately investigate though.

Except they'd probably charge a lot more than ?50.

I hear that M & S in LL lose a substantial amount of goods through shop lifting each week. I do not see any obvious security staff near the entrance and exit and no alarms (like Sainsbury's) Surely these larger chain have the finances to have a more stringent approach to shoplifting and can apprehend suspects and then call police. Police may be more willing to take actions if they get more co operation from these stores.

Both of the St. Christopher's shops are also targeted by shoplifters and thieves, with several customers having their purses etc taken.

When my bicycle was stolen a few years ago in central london the Met confirmed they weren't going to do anything more than send me a victim support letter and a crime reference number for insurance purposes.

They didn't care that the bike was locked up in direct sight of three cctv cameras, they were not going to investigate. And the bike cost a lot more than ?50. Even the lock that was stolen with the bike cost more than ?50.

So i stopped cy ling.