Mustard!

BillyGNB

Hello everyone,

I am an ex-Dijon resident starting a mustard business in Brockley!

I am looking for willing people with 1 minute to spare to answer 6 questions: either below or at https://goo.gl/forms/hqbuuoILX6QmxWZ82

Thank you! There'll be another post offering free samples some time soon... ;)

1. What is your sex, age and profession?

2. Do you like mustard?

Yes/No

3.Do you buy mustard?

Yes/No

4. Which brand do you buy?

Colman's/Maille/Grey Poupon/Independants/Supermarket own label

5.What do you do with mustard?

Eat with meat/Dressings & sauces/Recipes/Other:

6.Where do you buy your mustard?

Supermarket/Independant shop/Market/Convenience store/Other:

Bonsoir everyone,

A big thanks to all those who sent me their feedback via the google survey, we have collected more than 20 responses which is way more than I expected!

Now what?

So the idea behind the survey & the mustard business is as such:

1) As a frenchman I have always been a bit disapointed by the offer of mustard in this country ? a bit like when English people come to France and can?t find proper tea and fresh milk ;)

2) Having gone through the aisles of supermarkets & independants shops, I noticed a lack of mustard for the younger audience.

I therefore started with this assumption: could we start a new mustard brand, focused on quality & provenance, aimed at the 30-45 year old? Something focused on quality ingredients, provenance, a bit foodie, and very idependant.

I went to the British Library to do some research and yes, we seem to be on the right track, which is why I decided to do the survey, i.e. to see if reality matches the more global trend.

Once I have finished to analyse the survey I?ll post you the details. I?ll also see if I can find a way to put some documents online, maybe with google, so that you can see how we?re working on the brand, the product, etc.

Have a nice evening!

Bonjour everyone,

As promised I am posting the results of our survey. We?ve done very well with 59 responses!

57 of us liked mustard, which does not surprise me as most people who answered probably did so because they like the yellow condiment (chart 1)

When I did some on-street surveys in E.Dulwich, I found about 20% of the people I talked to did not like it, but again it was a small sample. The answer is probably somewhere in the middle, I imagine between 8 ? 12%.

Chart 2 alone is very interesting as it shows how much ground Colman?s have lost over the years. There was no real disparity on this between men and women, however age played a massive part as those aged < 45 clearly preferred Maille.

Usage was also very interesting to analyse (chart 3). One category of people, i.e. those aged between 35 and 45 buying from independents shops, showed ?dressing & sauces? as their main usage for mustard, over meat.

The responses could almost be separated into two categories: people who buy Colman?s / Maille for their meat consumption (supermarket) and people who buy mustard for a variety of uses (Maille, independents, bought in supermarket, market, independent shops). The latter is likely to be our typical consumer, and this is a good news to see this confirmed with our survey.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask!

Also I will now be working on how I can the product in front of you to get your feedback? It might be on a stall at the E.Dulwich market, mayve I?ll ask Tim at Franklins if I can do it in front of his shop? But I am aiming at doing this in the next 2-3 weeks.

Julien