Getting a chest freezer round a corner .....

Sue

I have decided on the chest freezer I want.

I have ascertained that it will fit under my stairs - once I have got it there.

How can I work out whether it will go round the corner of the stairs?

The actual spaces will fit the depth, but it's manoeuvring the length round the corner which could be problematical.

I have had a chest freezer in the house many moons ago, but I can't remember the dimensions and how they compared to this one.

Similar to Jennys' suggestion, I'd make a cardboard template of the lid, as this is the critical dimension when turning around corners rather than the height. Double check at any pinch point and allow for stuff at low level e.g. skirtings, stair nosing etc...

ETA: If you're happy to turn it on it's side (assuming it's smaller in size than the lid) then template the side rather than the lid...as long as you can turn it back before maneuvering into the space!

Just remember that if you turn a chest freezer on its end, when you have got it in place and flat

you need to leave it several hours (24 would be ideal) before you switch it ON.

This is to allow the freon to redistribute through the compressor coils.

If not you will permanently damage it and it will no longer work.

Foxy.

Thanks folks.

Yes, I have made sure that the freezer can fit under the stairs with the lid open. I have taken copious measurements and spoken at length to the manufacturer re various issues :)

Cardboard box template is a good idea, thank you, and yes it is the lid which will be crucial as the height is irrelevant (I think) at the point it's being manoeuvred in, assuming it stays upright.

I don't think turning it on its side will help as the height is greater than the depth, but I'm not good at imagining things in 3D.

I don't suppose there's an app either, but worth looking I guess!

I have had several fridges, freezers and fridge-freezers over the decades, so I'm well aware of potential issues arising from tilting and moving them, but thanks anyway. I believe it is less of a problem with modern technology.

I'm assuming that the people who deliver it will be putting it in situ, as they did with my existing fridge-freezer, but I will double check (and also double check that they will take it away again and refund my money if they can't get it in :)) )

Oh, and just to add to the complexity, there is an effing radiator opposite the space under the stairs, which reduces the space available to manoeuvre the freezer in (and yes I've checked re temperature issues, and ventilation, and all is fine!) If push came to shove (possibly literally) I might have to get someone to remove the rad and put it back again, but I'm really really hoping it won't come to that .....

ETA: Love the chimp ad!

If you need to remove the Rad, being downstairs the entire system will need to be drained then refilled.

Which means the boiler will also need to be vented and all the rads bled and the system may need rebalancing

if rad stats are fitted. Would be a whole days work. If the system is dirty it could involve flushing the system.

an other days work (4-5) Hours and that is very expensive.

Don't remove the rad.

Foxy.

Not necessarily Foxy.

You can turn both rad valves to 'closed' and (while keeping them attached to the system piping) detach the radiator from both valves.

That way you'll only unleash a radiator full of water, won't have to drain the system, won't have to refill entire system, and will only need to 'top' up the system.

Sue, one way to move the freezer could be to lie it on end on a slice of carpet and drag it round the hall.

If you can select a piece of cardboard / carpet which is same size as end of freezer, you can 'practice' manoeveringthrough the space available to see how viable the dimensions are in your hall.

KidKruger Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Not necessarily Foxy.

> You can turn both rad valves to 'closed' and

> (while keeping them attached to the system piping)

> detach the radiator from both valves.

> That way you'll only unleash a radiator full of

> water, won't have to drain the system, won't have

> to refill entire system, and will only need to

> 'top' up the system.

I thought that KK. I have a Rad that has been removed upstairs that I wanted replaced.

Both valves are there. Closed. But three independent plumbers including a mate has said cannot be done

without draining the upstairs rads. I've lived with it for 21 years so not urgent lol

Fox

KidKruger Wrote:

> Not necessarily Foxy.

> You can turn both rad valves to 'closed' and

> (while keeping them attached to the system piping)

> detach the radiator from both valves.

>

But you'll still have the valves in the way of getting the freezer round, the one nearest the front door, at least.

That valve actually sticks out further than the rest of the rad.

Loz Wrote:

> How's your trigonometry, Sue?

>

> http://www.dummies.com/education/math/trigonometry

> /determining-if-a-long-object-will-fit-around-a-ha

> llway-corner/

Rather a long time since I've used trig, but hey thanks I'll have a read of that!!

ETA: Had a look, think I'll read it in the morning :)) :)) :))

maxxi Wrote:

> Removing the freezer lid might make it easier to

> manoeuvre - if you Google the make and model

> there's probably an instruction thing online.

Thanks I'll have a look but it's not really the height which is the problem ....

Well I haven't actually done the cardboard thing yet, though I've got as far as bringing sufficient bits of cardboard back from my allotment.

However I've got an email from John Lewis which says no problem with turning the freezer on its side to move it, they will install it into the exact place it needs to go, and if at the end of the day they can't fit it in they will take it away again and refund my money.

So all good.

(Though I don't have 100% confidence in John Lewis, having had some issues with them before ..... ).

Now I'm going to paint the walls and floor under the stairs before I order the freezer .....

I did try and do the cardboard thing with garden canes cut to size, but as could have been predicted, that was a dismal failure :))