Martins (newsagent) in DV to close

sillywoman

I know, not strictly ED, but I thought it might be newsworthy all the same. Dulwich estates have put Martins in a lose-lose situation and they've been forced to relinquish their tenancy. They will close in two weeks. Poor old DV - once a thriving village, now, with the loss of the last 'useful' shop, a wasteland of expensive clothes shops and patisseries. :(

I do know a little more, but have to be careful as I don't want to get my informant into any trouble. It's definite though. Two weeks on Friday Martins will close. I also know that they didn't want to and wanted to remain as open as a community resource and ongoing concern. The closure is entirely driven by DE.

I dunno, what is it WOD?

I understand DE want to develop the site for flats (cos Dulwich really needs more flats no?), thereby reducing the available space for a shop so far that Martins feel it would no longer be a viable proposition, especially not at the rates suggested by DE. I can't imagine that any representations will change that, but I could be wrong ...

Totally understand the estates need to continue developing their assets. To monetise. But to do so at the expense of real, daily amenity value would be a disaster.

We get our paper delivered from here and it's about the only place to buy a pint of milk left.

Would anyone from the Dulwich Estate care to make a statement here re their consideration of amenity in their commercial leasing and planning policy?

I have heard stuff about the site but not that they are turning it into flats. There are flats above that the Estate is refurbing and doing some work to the side access. I had one of the flats and have just given it up. The garage at the top of Boxall Road is a possibility for flats I would think rather than the actual shops.

Rumours are a supermarket chain eventually but who knows if this is actually true.

• 2 weeks later...
SO a Friday night farewell to Martins, newsagent of Dulwich Village for the last 62 years (or so Im told). Poor old DV, the old boys of the Estate seem determined to ruin you by creating a gated community without the gates. Shame, but I'm sure in good time you'll get some fancy expensive deli to replace the last 'normal' shop you had. Last one out please tun out the lights...