Solar panels

Nicholas

Hi. We've got them for water and energy

The plus is, they provide lots of hot water and payments for what we feed in. In fact, for just two of us, they provide too much hot water and we have to drain it off.

The minus. They were expensive and you'd have to know you'll be in this house long enough for them to pay for themselves. Also we've had a couple of calls out for bits not working and one expensive service, to set against the profits..

I wouldn't have them again if we move. I don't think we'll ever be living anywhere ever again for long enough for them to pay for themselves.

If you're happy that they're helping the environment, that's another consideration.

Also , if you decide to go ahead, bargain with the company. After we'd started going into it, different companies started contacting us with different prices and salesman we choose brought the price down when we wavered..

• 3 months later...
Also build in insurance- both insurance for the panels themselves if required, but more importantly, whether panels will increase your risk and therefore your premium. You may need to prove certain fitment criteria in order for them to be allowed to be included in your insurance & any future claims you may make could ne nullified if you have omitted to inform them of the SP fitment.

• 8 months later...
Hi, Nicholas! I think you?ve already decided if you?ll obtain a solar panel system for your home. But to help out other readers, I?ll still answer your question. My family and I have a solar panel system installed in our home for four years now. And I can tell you that it?s really worth getting, especially in the long term. Our electricity bills became cheaper and our carbon footprint was reduced. We can also claim money from the government by selling the electricity produced by our solar panels back to our energy provider. As a result, we?re able to save up enough money to pay for this provider of solar panel maintenance and repair services to regularly check on our solar panels. If I say so myself, getting a solar panel system for our home was one of the best investments my husband and I have ever made.

I have panels on my roof but in an easterly direction and not many so my electricity costs are zero most mornings. I think they suit people that occupy their houses throughout the day. Everybody has different needs but for me I would have the following criteria.

1) Install on both east and west side of roof so you have a good level of power throughout the day.

2) install with battery storage so some power is available for evenings.

3) Install in the tiles in black as opposed to on the tiles. It looks much less intrusive.

Installing them today is not much of a saving comparing the installation versus the electricity costs. The new ones coming out of China seam to be the best value for efficiency, they seam to lead on efficiency over value. If you plan to be in your house for longer than ten years then you will definitely save and thats not taking into account the increases in the cost of electricity which should be taken into account. Finally if you install them black and in the tiles so they look nice I am sure it will add to the value of your house especially after a few years of inflation.

I just put in 4kw and a battery. I already have hot water and another array of photovoltaic. I Cannot imagine it would make your house less likely to sell. And next week I?m having a heat pump installed. During the summer April to October The gas is off and I pay under ?40 a month for electricity. My street is jammed with cars and all the trees are down from disease and the Council refuses to replace them. I don?t think solar panels are what makes our living environment ugly.