Gowlett closing

flocker spotter

That's a real shame. To judge from what little I am find online from my phone right now it looks like a financial issue, as opposed to a result of the noise issues? Although the two could well be linked.

Anyone got any more concrete info? This place has (had) such great character.

From Facebook

That's put a downer on my day :(

"It is with a heavy heart that today we have had to take the decision to close The Gowlett. We have been working for some time on a package to allow Jack and the team to continue in place but alas, time has today run out. It is still hoped that this will happen sooner rather than later but that was taken out of my hands this morning.

I can't even begin to apologise to the staff, customers, DJs, friends, suppliers and everyone else who have been involved in this being such an amazing place to be, enough. I've tagged a few of you here, but can't really think... I am broken.

Understandably, I won't be responding to stuff over the coming few days, as I have enough to deal with. My first efforts are to ensure the staff are taken care of.

I'll see you all on the other side of what this all may bring."

I remember reading an interview with Johnny in the Peckham Peculiar (I think), and he was saying that he thought what made the pub unique was that it appealed to a cross section of the community. Long time regulars drinking at the bar, parents having an after-school pizza with the kids, builders after finishing a hard days work, professionals coming for a drink and dinner, 20-somethings coming for the DJ nights.. it always seemed very inclusive and unpretentious.

What a shame.